Chapter 42

RIAN POV

Warning: You're welcome. ;)

As Alex and I lounge together on the couch, we watch Bruno playing with one of his new doggy toys. Alex frustratedly groans as she looks at her text book, and she throws her pencil down before closing the book.

"I quit!" Alex exclaims.

"Calm down, Alex. It's only difficult because you're making it difficult."

"What's that even supposed to mean?" Alex grumbles while crossing her arms.

"You're making it seem difficult, when it actually isn't." I say.

"Well, you're a doctor and you hold a Masters degree. I need your big brain to help me out." Alex whines.

"You're a lot smarter than you give yourself credit for, Alex."

"Yeah, I wish I was smart enough to figure out this complicated shit." Alex complains, and I laugh at her potty mouth.

"Okay, we'll take a look at the problem." I say, and she reopens her textbook while I reach for her pencil.

"It's simple, Alex. If z is a function of y, and y is a function of x, than z is a function of x. The problem is f(x) = 2x + 3 and g(x) = –x2 + 5, find ( f o g)(x). So, what you're doing is trying to find the formula from plugging the formula for g(x) into the formula for f(x)." I explain, and Alex furrows her eyebrows.

"What?!" Alex says, looking very confused.

I take her paper, and I lead her step by step through the problem, and she face palms as I finish the first one.

"Wow, I'm an idiot." Alex says, and I frown.

"No, you're not. This stuff can be confusing at first, you're not an idiot just because you don't get it."

"So, let me get this straight. You're a doctor who's not only drop dead beautiful, but you're also very intelligent, chivalrous, and warm hearted?" Alex asks with a smile, and I chuckle.

"Yeah, I guess so." I reply, and she smiles.

"How did I ever get so lucky?" She asks herself, and I continue to laugh.

"I could ask you the same." I say, and she covers her redden cheeks as she goofily smiles.

"Aww, you make me blush." Alex says, and I smile before leaning in to kiss her.

My phone rings just as our lips connect, and we both sigh. I pick up my phone after answering it, and I press it to my ear.

"Hello? Rian?" My mother says, and I smile.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Well, at the party your father and I made plans to have brunch with you and Alexandrianna. I just called to know when you two are free."

"When are you free?" I ask Alex.

"I'm free this weekend because obviously I won't be in school." Alex says, and I nod.