Chapter 23

RIAN POV

"Mr. Peterson!" A deep voice says, and I'm brought back from my daydream.

"Yeah?" I say, alert again.

"Is everything okay?" Dr. Raymond asks, staring at me.

"Yeah, everything's perfect." I say.

"I need you to run this file down to orthopedics to Dr. Aldridge right now before you go on break, okay?" Dr. Raymond asks, and I instantly nod.

"Of course, Dr. Raymond."

I take the file from his hands, and I walk quickly to orthopedics. Once I get there, I make my way into the room and I see Dr. Aldridge with a patient.

"Dr. Aldridge," I say, knocking on the door. "I have a file for you."

"Thanks R, just put it on the desk. I'm kind of busy with this patient." He says.

The patient turns around, and my heartbeat accelerates when I see her. Alex sits in the chair, and she gives me an awkward smile.

I totally forgot that she had an appointment today.

"Alexandrianna," I say, winking at her.

She lets out a shy laugh, and she greets me back. We stare at each other for a while, and I don't want to tear away from her gorgeous eyes.

"How's her knee doing?" I ask curiously, even though I know how it is because I check on her knee at my flat.

"This is her last orthopedic appointment, and it's back to normal. Just don't put a lot of pressure or stress on it because it can't handle as much as it could before it was dislocated." Dr. Aldridge explains, and Alex nods her head.

"So, I can get rid of my brace now?" Alex asks, her face lighting up.

"Yes, you can." Dr. Aldridge says, smiling at Alex's excitement.

Once Alex leaves the appointment, I walk side by side with her down the hallways.

"I went and got your Christmas gifts today, Alex." I say, and she smiles up at me.

"What did you get? Please tell me you didn't break the bank getting me things, I'd feel horrible." Alex says.

"I guess you'll just wait and see in a couple of days."

"I have no idea what to get you, though." Alex whines.

"I actually don't really want anything for Christmas this year. I know my parents got me something but that's because they're my parents and always feel the need to spoil my siblings and I." I explain, and she literally pouts and I smile at her cuteness.

"If they can get you something, why can't I?" Alex asks in a bratty voice.

"Spending Christmas with you is all I want, and I'll be content with that. Nothing materialistic can satisfy me, and I'm not an acquisitive person because I grew up wealthy. I truly don't want you to buy me anything because I already have who I want, and that's you." I clarify, holding her shoulders gently as I finish my soliloquy to her.

"Rian, you make me realize a lot of things. One of those things being that I am actually quite grateful for dislocating my knee because if I hadn't, I wouldn't have met you. I can't wait to spend Christmas and New Years with you, I know it'll be the happiest I've been in a while." She says, and her chocolate irises are burning into mine.

"I'm grateful that they assigned me to you, Alex. I know that 2016 will be started off right with you." I say, unable to stop smiling.

"Me too."