Chapter 60

RIAN POV

Warning: I'm pretty sure you guys know the drill by now ;)

Today is our anniversary.

One year ago today, I met the woman who made me into a better man.

Never did I imagine that the woman who would be having my first child would originally start as just my patient. It really is remarkable at how much my life changed after I met her.

Alex wasn't like my last relationships, all possessive and controlling and selfish. Every single moment that we've had from the moment we met until now was real, and our connection still is as strong as it was the day I walked into that hospital room.

Something so minuscule like a dislocated knee started something that's so indescribably amazing that I couldn't imagine living without it.

Without her.

Everything that I could've ever possibly imagined was right in front of me. Alex was frantically worrying about what would happen to her knee, and there I was, just baffled at how stunningly gorgeous she looked. As corny as that is, it's completely true.

That long brown hair and matching eyes with her creamy skin was enough to paralyze my thoughts momentarily, because I'd get lost in her beauty as if it were a maze.

I'd gladly stay in that maze forever.

Later on that night that we met, I went back to my flat and thought of her. That look in her chocolatey brown eyes as she first shook my hand still played in my head. I remember how tentative and shy she was when she shook my hand, while I was a bit too firm with the handshake.

I remember after her reduction, and she was still sedated and how peaceful she looked. Everything in me was screaming not to fall for her, because with her being a patient and me being a doctor, I knew that there was probably a rule against fraternization.

But I didn't even care once I found out that her mother had been abusing her. Everything inside of me was hurting with Alex, especially when I saw her crying.

She looked so vulnerable just sitting there, just choking on the salty tears that fell from her eyes and trying to swallow down her cries. I tried to fight back my own tears once I watched her wince in pain as I tried to make her wounds heal a bit quicker.

All I wanted was to protect her from anymore harm that her mother had inflicted on her.

Now, I know that will never happen ever again. Alex will live the rest of her days without fear and without feeling worthless, and I'm going to make sure of that even if it kills me.

She deserves nothing but the best.

Just thinking about how Alex received nothing but the complete opposite of love and appreciation makes me extremely angry. Her mother never deserved someone as amazing as Alex.

Most men would call me whipped, but I believe that's how it's supposed to be. I cherish Alex every chance I get because I don't want to lose her, and I'm not afraid to show my emotions.

I break away from my thoughts when I feel Alex wrap her arms around me from behind, giving me a quick peck on the cheek. I smile before turning around, grabbing both of her hands and kissing her again.