Chapter 57

RIAN POV

The next morning, I call my mother, and I pace back and forth while waiting for her to answer the phone. When she doesn't answer, I decide to leave her a voicemail.

"Mom, I'm going to come over with Alex later on today. We have some really exciting news to tell you guys." I say happily into the phone.

Alex walks up behind me, and Bruno walks next to her. I notice that she's changed into one of my v-neck shirts and a different pair of lace underwear. She has a radiant smile on her face, and her entire face seems to glow in the sunlight, even though I know it's still too early in her pregnancy for her to be glowing yet.

"Good morning," Alex says, and she gives me a kiss on the cheek.

"Good morning," I say back, and I reach out and grab her hand.

"Your mom didn't answer?" Alex asks curiously, and I nod.

"Nope. I planned on surprising her anyways, so we'll be headed over there soon."

"You're such a good son. I love how you constantly visit her and check up on her, it's sweet." Alex says.

"Yeah, I haven't seen her since the funeral, and she hasn't called me so I'm going to see her to see if she's okay and to tell her the good news." I inform her.

The corners of Alex's lips turn down, and she sighs.

"How've you been doing?" She asks, looking into my eyes.

"I'm doing better. Still hurts some days, but I keep going on with life. There's no need to worry, babe."

It has gotten better with time, but sometimes it still stings. Some memories make me smile, some make me cry. I know that he just felt incapable of continuing on, but I still wish he would've held on. If not for us, for our mother.

I've gotten text messages from Brendan and Vanessa, but that still isn't enough for me. I haven't heard my mother's voice in a while, and it's worrying me.

"I just want my boyfriend to be happy." Alex says playfully, and she winks.

"I am happy, Alex. Happier than I've ever been because of you." I say.

Last night, I felt giddy with excitement. I just wanted to scream, shout, jump, and just celebrate the fact that I'm going to be a father. That tingly feeling still courses through my veins as I think about it, and the adrenaline is still fresh.

I'm going to be a dad.

In nine months I'll have a little boy or girl that is my own flesh and blood.

Alex and I stare at each other for what seems like an eternity, and we both have that familiar feeling of euphoria that's taking over our bodies. Her eyes gleam, and her cheeks turn into a rosy pink while gazing up at me.

"I still cannot believe that we're going to have a baby together." I whisper in disbelief, and she smiles.

"Me either," Alex whispers, placing a kiss underneath my jaw. "It just feels unreal."

"We just started off as a doctor and patient, and now we're expecting and it'll be our one year anniversary pretty soon." I say, and my cheeks warm up.