Chapter 62

ALEXANDRIANNA POV

"My mother was definitely a lot worse than you could imagine." I state, and Emmanuelle gives me a grave look.

A lot worse than anyone could imagine.

After a while, I finally decided to open up to Emmanuelle about my mother and why she hasn't met her. I wouldn't want such a wonderful woman like her to cross paths with my heinous mother.

"How long did she abuse you?" She asks.

"It all started when I was thirteen, not long after my father was killed. It progressively got worse over the years instead of better, and it became very clear that she wouldn't stop."

"Why would she do such a thing to you?" Emmanuelle asks, and her eyes are filled with horror.

Because she's a bitter bit—

"What I think is that she couldn't handle the pain of losing her husband, so she took all of her pain and anger out on me."

"Did she think that you didn't love her or something?" Emmanuelle asks.

"Probably." I say flatly, and I look down at the table and awkwardly twiddle my thumbs.

I was always a daddy's girl, but I actually did love my mother. That is, before she started to abuse me, obviously. She probably thought that my sister and two younger brothers gave them an equal amount of love, but that I only loved our dad.

Truthfully, I really did love my mother. But she lost it all once the abuse started. Not one bit of love for that woman is left in my body, and she's become a stranger to me.

She means nothing to me now. Absolutely nothing.

Like Rian said, she doesn't deserve me or my love.

She deserves nothing.

It wasn't a favoritism thing just because I tended to lean on my dad, but I guess she thought of it that way. So once he died, she naturally decided to target me.

I remember talking to Rian about how people deal with their pain in different extremes. As much as I could tell that he hated that truth, he knew that I was right. Everyone's going to deal with certain situations in different ways, and some are worse than others.

The abuse that I went through became inevitable. There was no more questioning if she was going to hit me, because I already knew that she was going to anyway.

"That still doesn't give her the right to do that to you." Emmanuelle exclaims, and she nearly slams her hand on the table, but she stops herself.

"I know, I know. But, it doesn't matter anymore. Rian came and saved me, and I haven't seen her in nearly a year now."

"Rian saved you?" She asks with furrowed brows.

"God, there's a lot of untold stories in our relationship that haven't been told. Rian's the one who took me into his place and cares for me after I had been badly beaten."

Emmanuelle smiles at me, and her cheeks slightly change color. Rian definitely has made her a proud woman, not only because that he continues to follow the lessons that he was taught as a kid, but also because he went out of his way to help me and protect me.