Chapter 47

ALEXANDRIANNA POV

For the past two weeks, Rian has taken time off of work from the hospital. We've been visiting him nonstop since we found out that he was in the hospital, and I'm currently listening to one of the many stories about Rian.

"We would just go out. It didn't matter where, it was just so that I could spend time with my boy." Daniel says, and his smile is wide.

"What would you guys do?" I ask.

"I would just talk to him and teach him about all of the things that were going on in the world, and I'm sure he's told you of my lessons." Daniel says, and I nod.

"Yes, the most famous one being about chivalry and basic respect." I reply, and he chuckles.

"He used to look at Emmanuelle and I and ask so many questions about love and other things that he was still a bit too young to understand. He was much smarter than other little kids I knew, and even I was fascinated at how he'd explain things to me." Daniel explains.

"He's a very smart man, Mr. Peterson."

"He'd ask me things that most kids wouldn't even know about, and I considered him my little Einstein." Daniel says, and I can practically see the memories flash in his eyes.

Daniel goes on to tell me about how Rian had straight A's in school, and how much he wanted to overachieve. His parents were still proud of him, and he began to save up his allowance to start buying medical literature.

When Rian said he was serious about becoming a doctor, he wasn't playing.

"I really have taught that boy well. I just wish Brendan turned out like him." Daniel continues, sounding very disappointed.

"You know, Brendan actually told me why he acted the way he did." I say, and his face lights up in amusement.

"Yeah, I'm not afraid to admit that Brendan has been an asshole lately. I should smack some sense into him, though, because my patience is running thin with him." Daniel says, and I nod.

"I know, I wasn't going to deal with it for much longer. He told me why, but I have a feeling that you're not going to like the answer."

"Why is that?" He asks, sitting up right in the bed.

"He told me he did that to hide how upset he was about you. Brendan's hiding how he really feels by acting like he's a—"

"Douchebag?" Daniel finishes, and I hesitate before nodding.

I find it funny that even Daniel found his own son to be a pain in the ass, but he didn't even know why he was that way. Now that Daniel knows, that should at least make him realize how much Brendan really does love him and is worried sick.

"Just because I'm not in the best shape doesn't give him an excuse to be disrespectful, Alex."

"Y'know he was almost in tears when he admitted this to me? If that doesn't make you realize how much he worries about you and how much he loves you, then I don't know what will." I exclaim, on the verge of raging.

I frustratedly run my fingers through my hair, and try to bite back a few more words. Not hurtful words, but words that'll sting enough to make him think.