6. Breaking Up Is Hard To Do (Joe Trohman)

(Your POV)

Ruby climbed into the car and sat in her booster seat glumly, she threw her Princess bookbag on the floor and crossed her arms.

"What's wrong princess?" I asked.

"Jeremy broke up with me." She said, her bottom lip quivering.

I looked back at her. "Jeremy?" I vaguely remembered him as the kid who ate all the cake at Ruby's 5th birthday and threw up in the bounce house. "The one who threw up in your bounce house?"

"He doesn't do that anymore mommy!" Ruby glared at me from beneath her drooped eyelids.

"When did you two start 'dating'?" I made air quotes.

"Yesterday?" She sniffled.

I couldn't help myself, I laughed a little. My six year old daughter had experienced her first elementary school relationship; it made me a bit nostalgic.

"It's not funny." Ruby snapped and started crying, pulling her jacket over her head.

"Ruby, I'm sorry." I tried to touch her, but she moved away from me.

"Leave me alone." She said quietly.

I sighed and started the drive home. Ruby stayed silent, except for a few quiet sniffles.

When I pulled up to the house, Ruby bolted, slamming the car door behind her.

I followed her at a safe distance, hearing her little feet as she stomped up the stairs.

"What's wrong with Rue?" Joe asked as I walked into the living room.

"Jeremy broke up with her." I sat beside him on the couch.

"Who's Jeremy?" He asked and looked up at me confused.

"The boy who came to Ruby's party last year, ate all her cake and then threw up in the bounce house." I explained. "They started 'dating' yesterday and he broke up with her today."

"Ah." Joe put his phone down. "That's why she's so upset."

"And I might have laughed a little." I said quietly, looking at Joe with a sheepish smile.

"You did not." He smiled. "Our daughter has experienced her first break up, her first mini existential crisis and you laughed at her?" He said jokingly.

"I didn't mean to." I said a bit defensively, crossing my arms.

Joe pulled me onto his lap, burying his head into the back of my shoulder. "I know, I was just teasing." Came his mumbled reply.

"And now she's mad at me?" I sighed, blowing the strands of hair from my face.

"Don't worry about it babe, I'll talk to her." Joe kissed my shoulder and moved me off of him. "Super Dad away!" He put both arms into the air and ran upstairs.

I grinned, looking after him.

(Joe's POV)

I knocked on my daughter's door softly. "Rue."

No response.

I pushed the door open slowly. My daughter was a heap in the middle of her bed.

"Go away daddy." She mumbled weakly.

"No." I said and walked into her room. "Can we talk Rue?"

Ruby looked at me from under the safety of her blankets.

I took that as a yes and sat beside her, rubbing her back. "Tough day huh?"

She nodded solemnly.

"I didn't think we'd be having this conversation so early Rue." I ran a hand through my hair. "I thought I'd have at least 10 years."

Ruby stared at the wall, holding her Elsa doll to her tightly.

"Well Jeremy doesn't know what he's missing princess." I assured her, smiling down at her. "You deserve a prince, not a boy who throws up in a bouncy house." I opened my arms.

She nodded and crawled into them, burying her face into my chest and sniffling.

I rubbed her back. "Mommy didn't mean to laugh at you?"

"I know." Ruby said quietly. "I know she wasn't being mean."

"That's good." I kissed her forehead. "And she loves you. I love you."

Ruby looked up at me smiling a little. "I know, I love you guys too." She wrapped her little arms around me.

I hugged her back, smiling.

Another win for Super Dad. But then again, who's counting?

Heyyyoooo! You should totally check out my Pete Wentz Imagines, you know if you're into that. XOXO ~Zoe