• Chapter 5

Thank you guys for commenting on this book. So sorry, I don't have the time to reply on each of them but I read them all. Thank you!

*****

Chapter 5

L E V I

Months have passed like wilting leaves in autumn. The air was in a summery light and peace have regularly visited me at night--meaning my insomnia haven't been bothering me lately nor did my nightmares.

It was probably because I asked for Lily to read to me every night. It has become a ritual of mine which I've become accustomed of having pleasure doing.

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known," Lily said, snapping the book shut with a satisfied smile. "And thus ends, The Tale of Two Cities."

"Beautiful, simply beautiful," I commented as she blushed. At that point, I didn't know who or what I was subjecting to.

However, two things were bothering me though: the fact that Lily's lying about her identity and Jessica's soon arrival. Jessica had a weak body and when she learned that we were to be married, it excited her too much and made her unable to travel a she had too, caught the flu. And when Jessica gets the flu, she'd be bedridden for a long time. How is she supposed to take care of my children then?

On the other hand, Lily had become my guilty distraction. Whenever she came to my room, I couldn't help but get excited like a little boy about to get a treat. She was quiet at first but slowly became comfortable with my awesome company. However, she wouldn't look at me in the eye for too long as if she was afraid she'd let out a secret. Which I'm going to find out soon.

The phone rang and I picked it up as I rolled my eyes. If it was my father again, I would not waste another second to cut it off.

"Levi, this is me, Gavier," one of my close friend, Prince Gavier, prince of New Zealand, said deeply in the phone.

"Hey man. Sup?" I relaxed in my chair and thanked the Lord that it was just Gavier.

"Have you forgotten my damn birthday again? You're too wallowed up in your fucking cave, you should get out sometimes."

"Damn, I'm sorry. August 8, right? Where's the party?"

"I'll email you the details. So you better be fucking there. The rest of the squad will be there as well."

"Yes, I will. I'd be the earliest."

The phone went dead, typical of Gavier not to say goodbye. He was always rude but his rudeness had a certain appeal to it and what probably made me want to be his friend. Being his close friend had its perks. You'd know that he will always have your back even if you have killed someone, not that I ever did.

I called for Mrs. Bennet to quickly pack my things. Gavier emailed me the details and learned that the party would be held in New York. Usually, Mrs. Bennet would come and take care of me in whichever house we go to, be it our manor or a castle. In the email that Gavier gave me, it said that I could be staying in a hotel or my mansion in New York.

Curious to know more about Lily, I told Mrs. Bennet that I'd be taking Lily instead of her, which she agreed with a knowing smile on her face and a slap on my arm, telling me, I'm whipped.

I rolled my eyes, knowing that I really just wanted to know the truth about Lily. There was something about her, the way she stutters, the way she moves, the way she acts that intrigues me. I needed to get closer to her to find out everything. My gut feeling told me, there was so much more to find out, secrets I needed to unveil, the past that couldn't wait to resurface.

Dangerous, this is dangerous territory of an unknown woman who I have grown fond of. Lily is dangerous. I shook my head to dismiss the thought.

A minute later, Lily was barging into my room, shocking me as she enveloped me in an embrace.

"Thank you, Prince! I'd love to go to New York, I've never been there before. I can't wait to see if all the books I read about the city that never sleeps were true!" She said excitedly and hugged my torso tighter with her thin arms.

"Interesting." I caressed her orange hair and smiled which made her suddenly tense and let go.

"Sorry, that was so. . .so unprofessional. Please don't sack me." Her eyes were wide with fear, making me want to kiss her.

I laughed and pulled her back in my arms. "Don't worry, I sometimes hug Mrs. Bennet too."

I could feel her smile against my chest and something in my heart spiked upon making her happy. These past few months, she had grown on me in her clumsy and cute way. She truly is adorable.

"How about Brenda, do you hug her too and kiss her?"

I scrunched my eyebrows together. "Nope, just you and Mrs. Bennet."

She went silent afterwards for what seemed like a decade.

"Why? Did she say anything?"

"Ummm, she...she said she's your mistress." She looked at me with innocent big eyes.

"No, I don't have a mistress." If I were to have it would be you. "What made her say that?"

She bit her lower lip and shrugged. "I-I don't know."

"I'm going to fire her," I fumed. This is why young women shouldn't be in my household, except for Lily, of course.

"No, don't. I don't really believe her anyway. She always lies."

"And you do too," I said carelessly.

She flinched and let go of my arms then turned around, making me miss her warmth and touch. The air suddey became cold.

"When is Princess Jessica coming?"

"How-how did you know about that?"

"Everybody knows that you're getting married soon." Her voice quivered and I could tell she was having a hard time confronting me with this subject.

"Jessica is just an acquaintance. She's just a childhood friend. Listen, I'm sorry for calling you a liar. Face me, Lily." I touched her shoulder and she visibly relaxed.

"It's okay. I'm fine."

I turned her body to face me and saw tears flowing from her face. What the fuck?

"No, you're not." I pulled her in my arms again and this time, she didn't complain. "Tell me what's bothering you Lily."

"Nothing, I just miss a certain person and I couldn't help it."

Those words seemed to have stopped the beating of my heart. Someone? Who the heck is that someone? Is it a guy? Her past lover?

"Who is it?" I growled.

"Nothing, you don't have to know. When is Princess Jessica coming?"

I frowned and felt an unfamiliar emotion erupting. "Soon. And we'll probably get engaged." I snapped at her.

The hurt in her eyes was so vivid, she didn't even bother hiding it. "Co-congratulations." She fled from the room with tears in her eyes.

What have I done? As if I'm going to marry someone who could be my sister, that's insane. More importantly, who is this person she's missing so much that it made her cry? And why was I so affected by it? She's just a servant, nothing more.

As if...deep inside you know who she is. How could you not?

Shut up. She can't be...

I tried to drown my perturbed thoughts in my sleep but the pain in her eyes kept flashing in my head and I bet it would also haunt me in my dreams.

***

So sad. I know, there'll be a lot of drama soon so hold onto your hearts. ♡