° Chapter 28

Late update, but better late than never. ;)

*****

Chapter 28

Lily/Ophelia's POV

I have to find out the truth.

There should be something I could do about this. Guilt is even a heavier burden to have than sadness. Knowing that my prince is in jail, worse yet, that I have been the reason he was put there, then here I am, in my own haven, served and pampered---how could I just sit around and relax?

I wrote a letter and had it delivered to my father as he wouldn't see me or let me free. I needed answers and he wouldn't give them to me so I did something bold and revolting. I cut my long hair and sent it with the letter.

Pacing in the room, I looked in the mirror and hardened my face. My hair was uneven but I knew that it would get fixed later anyway. You can do this Ophelia. Remember who you're doing this for.

I touched my chest and heaved. I missed him like I missed the sunrise. I didn't think it would be this hard to be away from him and remembering those angry eyes that haunt me every time I closed my eyes make me want to die. I never want him to look at me like that again.

There was a knock on my door before it opened. Gruffly and solemnly, my father entered. His eyes looked tired and bags were underneath his eyes but when they finally landed on me it softened. He opened his arms and called my name.

"Dad." I ran into his arms. "I'm sorry, daddy."

"Ophelia, you've gotten pale and thin. Why did you cut your precious hair?"

"I had to get your attention and this is the only thing I could think of which would make you come to me."

He sighed and let go. "I apologize for not visiting you but we're all busy in the palace. There's a country I have to run. And if this is about you wanting to leave the palace, I will not grant it. It's dangerous outside Ophelia, you have to understand. Reporters and madness are beyond those palace gates. Somehow they have come to know who you are and where you've been. Someone must have tipped them off. It's chaos out there."

I nodded my head as we both sat down on the couch. "I understand but I called upon you, not because of this reason. I want to talk about Prince Levi."

My dad's face flinched as I said his name.

"He is innocent, dad. He was very kind to me even though he didn't know I was a princess. I hid my identity by becoming his servant. He did not kidnap me father, that letter that said so was false," I explained strongly with pleading eyes.

My dad frowned as his face hardened. "You became his servant?" He shook his head, "How dare he take you in as a maid--"

"Dad I had to cover up my tracks. Theresa told me to. She said it would be dangerous if I stayed here."

"Why did you believe her, Ophelia? What made you do that when your parents are willing to hear you out? Didn't you think of how worried we'll be when you left? Didn't you think of your mother who is ill at that time? Ophelia, I would search the ends of the earth to find you, if not the universe. I cannot accept the rebellion and stupid actions with a baseless assumption you have done. What you did is very selfish."

I looked at the ground and bit my lip. What he said was so true and it made me feel heavier with guilt.

"I'm sorry."

He sighed. "I know that you're very close to Theresa, you and your sister both. She's been with us since you were born but it all had been a plan from the start."