Part Two: Chapter Forty

American schools are fucking weird. First and foremost, the grade system is different. Where I would be in secondary school in Brisbane, I'm in high school in the middle of the Boston suburbia. The name even makes my skin crawl. It reminds me of all those awful mellow dramatic teenage shows where everyone overreacts.

Furthermore, each and every person that I've met so far is the definition of a seppo. "Hi," Someone calls from behind me, their voice breaking my clustered thoughts. Turning on my heel, I see a young girl from one of my earlier classes. Her thick dark hair is pulled up into a tight high pony tail, and she wears comfortable athletic clothes and a black North Face bag thrown over her shoulder. "I'm Nora."

"Nice to meet you," I nod, shifting uncomfortably in my newly acquired Lilly Pulitzer and Vineyard Vines. "Name's Larkin."

"Do you have anyone to sit with at lunch?" Nora asks, looking over myawkward stance. Shaking my head in the slightest, she smiles warmly. "Wanna sitwith me and a few of my friends?" Shrugging, I follow suit and sit down next tothe kind girl. "Larkin, this is Shawn, Tyler, Emma, and Riley. Guys, this isLarkin. She's in my history class." They all smile briefly before returning tothe conversation that was being held prior to it. I'm left to their silence andthe unwelcoming screams over my increasingly loud thoughts.