Part Two: Chapter Seventy Seven

The bass was loud, and the lights were dim. Hannah's apartment has turned into a night club in a matter of hours. A pair of black skinny jeans, a muscle tee, and blacked out converse adorn my body. With a beer in my hand, I smile lightly, finally feeling free. That is, until I see some white powder in the corner of the room.

"No no no no no," I mutter in a panicked tone, placing my glass bottled on the granite counter before running off. Swinging open the door to my room, I gasp at the compromising position that I catch a couple in. Slamming the door shut, I try Hannah's door; it's locked. So is the bathroom. All I can manage to think about in a series of scattered and distracted thoughts is how badly I crave a substance induced high. I want to feel it through my body, inhaling a little piece of euphoria. I can't. I have to stop. No thinking. Clear your head. It's been nearly a year. The hard times have passed.

Instinctively, I begin to scratch at the table, seeing everything through an unfocused lens, a strong burning in my veins.

"Hey, are you alright?" A voice asks behind me, sounding surprisingly clear amidst the blaring music. Jumping out of my trance, I turn to the man. He stands tall, at least six foot one. His brown hair is swept to the side, creating the illusion of slight fringe. His jawline is sharp, and his lips, well sculpted. His eyes shine a bright green even in the dim lighting. For the short moment that I take in his appearance, I nearly forget the battle between my logic and my cravings. But it soon sweeps back into my conscious mind. Gulping, I can't help the tick of scratching.

"Yeah, I uh, yeah," I say, speaking in my scattered thoughts, trying to seem undistracted.

"Hey?" What's wrong?"

"I... I just need to get out of here for a moment."

"Need a distraction?" He asks, smiling as I nod a little, continuing to avert my eyes to the kitchen counter. Taking my hand, he leads me to the window. Opening it, he steps out to the roof, continuing to hold my hand. "Freaking out about people snorting coke?" He chuckles.

"In a matter of speaking," I reply, trying to find constellations.

"What do you-"

"I've been clean for almost a year," I answer, nodding. "I saw it, and the cravings hit. If I was in there any longer, I don't think I could have handled it. So thank you."

"Don't mention it..." He trails off, searching for my name.

"L-"

"KAT!" Hannah exclaims drunkenly, shouting out the window. "Ohhhhh! I interrupted something," She giggles, popping her head back inside and shutting the window.

"So, your name is Kat then?" Laughing, I nod. I'm starting a new life. Larkin was a sad girl with a sad past. I think it's time I try and be happy. "You know what I think of when I hear the name Kat?"

"A kitten?" I ask, laughing a little.

"No. A Kit Kat," He responds, rubbing his stomach. "Now I want one."

"Not my fault," I giggle. "Now, I have yet to get your name."

"Benn," He responds.

"Like Benjamin?"

"No, uh, Bennett," He replies. "Everyone always assumes that it's Benjamin."

"Because Benjamin is a more common name," I laugh, watching as he smiles. "Has anyone ever told you that your smile is contagious?"

"Now they have," He laughs. "So, why have I ever seen your before? I'd surely remember a face like yours."

"Flattery gets you nowhere, Bennett," I respond, nudging him slightly with my shoulder. "But, I just came into town. Hannah's my cousin."

"Oh. You come from out of the country?"

"Yes and no," I reply, shrugging.

"What do you..."

"I lived in Australia until I was 15. I was sent to live with my god parents who lived in Boston after that."

"Why?"

"It's not really party chit chat," I shrug, avoiding eye contact with him.

"I've never really been good with chit chat," He counters, smirking. "Hey, uh, Benn?" I speak after an extended period of silence and staring at the stars.

"Yeah?"

"We're stuck out here..."

"Looks like you're stuck with me."