Part Two: Chapter Twenty Six

"Work on the car with me, baby," My father mutters, placing the now empty amber fluid on the kitchen counter. Nodding, I follow him into the garage, turning on Jack Johnson quietly in the background to fill in the silence that comes with our work. "It's as simple as something that nobody knows that her eyes are as big as her bubbly toes on the feet of a queen of the hearts of the cards and her feet are all covered with tar balls and scars," My father hums along drunkenly, slurring his words slightly and moving his body carelessly to the tune as we work out the slight kinks in the engine.

"It's as common as something that nobody knows that her beauty will follow wherever she goes. Up the hill in the back of her house in the wood, she'd love me forever, I know she could," I sing back, smiling and hiking up my sleeves.

"Sweetheart," My father whispers, his voice raspy and his eyes on my arms. "W-Why?"

"I'm sorry Daddy," I mutter, looking downwards in shame only to see his hand lace with mine.

"Ilove you sweetheart. I really do. If you ever need me, please, just talk to me.I don't want to lose you too." Smiling, I promise, knowing my word is a bindingcontract. Yet, as long as I have my father with me, I know that I'll be okay. Withthat, I lean down into the hood of the car, and hear the idiosyncratic noise ofa beer bottle opening.