Part Two: Chapter Ninety Seven

Sitting on the cliff where I used to think as a child, I feel a strong wave of nostalgia creep over me. Tracing the lines of my most recent tattoo, a white rose, I smile faintly.

Memories of my past flow freely through my mind, taunting me, mocking my every thought. I wonder what my old friends are doing now. As if on cue, someone's voice speaks behind me, quite obviously in shock. "Larkin? Larkin, is that you?" My breath hitches in my throat. I turn slowly to face the girl who haunted my subconscious.

"Hi," I answer quietly, averting my eyes rather quickly back to the ocean.

"What... What are you doing here?"

"My cousin's wedding is tomorrow. I'm her maid of honor."

"Oh, well, tell her I say congratulations."

"I, uh, I will," I reply awkwardly.

"Hey, Larkin?"

"Yeah, Jenna."

"Is there any chance that we could, you know, talk?"

"Sure. I'm only in town for the weekend though."

"Well... I meant..."

"Oh! You meant now."

"If not, that's fine. I just..."

"No, it's fine," I reply, trying to rid myself of the awkward tension filling the area, however unsuccessful I may be. "So, what do you want to talk about?"

"Everything," She breathes out, taking a seat next to me on the rocks. "I'm sorry Larkin."

"You shouldn't be," I respond, continuing to look out onto the horizon. "I shouldn't have lashed out on you. I was depressed, and the only thing I cared about was doing drugs and feeling numb. I should be the one who is sorry. I messed up our friendship."

"But I should have stayed by you. I shouldn't have stopped trying."

"You had full justification though," I laugh out bitterly. "I was being a cunt, and I kept pushing you out."

"So, if you don't mind me asking, what happened? One day you were here, and the next you were gone. All sorts of rumors were spreading around, but I didn't believe any of them."

"I was sent to live with my godparents in Boston until I was eighteen," I answer casually.

"So why didn't you come back two years ago?"

"Because I wasn't wanted. I tried to reach out to my aunt, but she didn't want me in her life anymore. Everyone gave up on me. It's not like I blamed any of them though. I just wish that... Well, I wish that my aunt would have given me a chance when I reached out to her. It's not something I do very often. So I drove across the US, and ended in California."

"You spent time in California?"

"It's where I've been living for the past two years," I answer honestly, laughing a little. "I moved in with my cousin Hannah, and got a job at a parlor just inside the city."

"And how have you been doing with all the... you know... stuff..."

"Drug addictions?" I ask, laughing lightly at her shyness. She used to be so blunt; I wonder what happened. "I was clean for two years, but I relapsed in November. It's been really hard, but I'm okay now."

"I'm really glad for you Larkin. You seem like you're in a good place now. You look a lot healthier."

"I wouldn't say good," I reply, laughing bitterly. "But what about you? What's happened in the past four years for you?"

"After you left, I went off on Tara for being an inconsiderate little bitch about you; you were always right about how awful she was. I've wanted to get in contact with you a couple of times, I just... I was never able to muster up enough courage to. I'm sorry again, Larkin."

"Really, you don't need to-"

"Jenna? Jenna McClorey?" An irritating voice exclaims at far too high of a frequency.

"You have got to be kidding me," I groan, putting my head into my hands as Jenna laughs beside me. "Literally, I'm back for five hours, and it's like a damn high school reunion."

"Tara, hey. What are you doing here? I though you were at college in Sydney."

"I'm back for a little while. Family troubles." I ball my hands into fists.

"Are you-" I grumble under my breath, being cut off a call from below me on the beach.

"Kat? Is that you up there?" Benn calls loudly.

"Call me, okay?" I say to Jenna, turning for a quick hug.

"Doubtyou dare doubt me." She states with a smile.