Part 30

It was three-thirty in the afternoon. Sanyukta was working at her desk when she received a message from Aaryan on her mobile.
She opened it and read, "Are you coming downstairs later this evening? The party won't be the same without you."

Groaning inwardly she replied  back,
"I can't . I'm busy"

A minute later, Aaryan messaged her again " Nothing's that urgent. You can have the night off.."

"I meant , at home.", Sanyukta replied back.

"Rimi won't mind"- he replied her.

Sanyukta buried her head in her hands. Rehan was supposed to be coming over for dinner. She wasn't looking forward to it. She could have used the excuse that it was her company's 20th anniversary. She felt as if she was hovering between the frying pan and the fire.
Sitting upright, she typed again " Sorry, I have other plans I can't get out of."

Another reply came speeding back.
"Everyone else will be there. You are the only one who would be missing."

'Damn', she said to herself. It was hard enough trying to fit in at  M & S without alienating herself. She had been working here since last 2 years but she still doesn't know what M & S stands for. 'Would it seem odd if I didn't  turn up???',she thought and typed,
"Fine . I'll be there for a while but I can't stay long."

"Great" replied Aaryan."I'll swing by your desk at 5:30 to make sure you don't escape "

'What is it with this man?', Sanyukta wondered. At times he was Boss-like and at times he practically flirted with her. Someone once told her that women are more complex than men.. At that time she had been inclined to agree....but now she wasn't so sure...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sanyukta sat precariously on a stool at the bar, blinking around her like a dazzled child. Also like a child she had murmured "Lemonade ", when Aaryan asked her what she was drinking.

"I'm not sure that's allowed at your age", he mocked at her.

"Sorry??"

"No", he continued, "It definitely has to be something like this White Grenache here"

"White Grenache????"

"It's basically White Wine from California. I think you should give it a try."

"No thank you. I don't drink wine."

"Come on Sanyukta, one drink won't hurt. After all it's our firms 20th  anniversary today  ."

" Okay Fine...just one glass"

"I'll get a bottle for us."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And here she was  , on her second glass only half half listening to Aaryan going on about the latest contract they'd landed. He broke off abruptly and asked,
"Is everything alright, Sanyukta?? "

"Huh???"

"You seem to be lost somewhere"

Sanyukta glanced at her watch. It was 6:30 already. The wine had relaxed her and left her feeling mellow. She wasn't being attentive to Aaryan, but she was enjoying just sitting there chilling out.