Part 33

Few weeks later...

Sanyukta climbed out of the cab in front of the office building . There was still time and she hadn't had her breakfast properly that morning.
She decided to have a cup of 'Hot Chocolate' at the coffee shop on the
other side of the road.
She placed an order for it wondering - whether to attempt drinking it , considering she had burnt her hand the last time she had tried---she jumped in alarm when she heard a familiar voice speaking over her shoulder .
"This is on me"

She turned around. Aaryan Malhotra was handing a 500₹ note to the girl behind the counter.

"I'll have the same", he smiled at the girl and then turned to Sanyukta .
"Will you join me???"

She frowned at her watch," Well...."

"Both of us can be late......, Krithika will circulate the gossip, of course but we are probably past caring."

His dark eyes held hers and she found herself being led away from the counter towards a table.

"I've got a confession to make", he said as they sat down.

"Look---", he didn't let her complete .

"We can't avoid each other forever. It's bloody hard having a PA who doesn't talk to you. At this rate, I'll have to hire a temporary one."

"Maybe you should", she shot back.
"It's about time you hire someone on a more permanent basis"

"Are you saying.....", he frowned

"No, I'm not quitting . I can't afford to quit. But you should have someone else as well as me. I do enough work most of the days, comprising of two people"

"Why haven't you said anything before?", he asked

"I just thought it was the way things had to be...", she replied.

"I suppose getting paid for overtime comes in handy.."

"Of course it does. I don't deny that .Rimi gets a few extra treats but that isn't what she needs. She is in bed ,by the time I get home most nights.. Buying her a few new Barbie accessories and taking her out somewhere nice , doesn't make up for the fact that we don't spend enough time together. "

Aaryan nodded thoughtfully," I've a mounting list of apologies to make. Not just for what happened----"

"Please --- It would be better if you don't mention it.",

"I've got to. I'm Sorry Sanyukta . I was a bastard . l've had a crap few weeks ago , if that's any consolation ..", he chipped .

"You were drunk Aaryan, and I wasn't sober myself"

"You're also the woman I'd least want to hit on. Which sounds like I don't find you attractive , when I do... You are one of the most natural people I know. And out of everyone working in 'M & S' , I respect you the most.. Which makes it unforgivable that I treated you the way I did ..."

"Not unforgivable ", chipped Sanyukta surprised at what he was saying . "But hard to forget".

"I understand . ... But I meant it , when I said I respect you. I guess that's the reason I turned to you when my relationship started going sour"