Part 41

There was a melodic beeping sound,but loud enough to creep into Sanyukta's head and drag her back to consciousness. Lifting her eyelids to form slits, she saw that the room was grey and dark. Someone was scrambling around . The beeping stopped. She heard Randhir's voice , then footsteps dying away.

A minute or two later, he was back, dropping with a thud on the floor by the side of the couch. Forcing herself , Sanyukta opened her eyes fully. He was wearing his T-shirt again and was wrapped in a blanket. And as if sensing her gaze on him, he turned his head towards her.
"Are you awake??", he asked . His hands reaching for the lamp in the corner and switched it on.

Holding the blanket around her frame, she edged herself into a sitting position , "I heard a noise"

"It was your mobile, which was lying on the coffee table. I didn't want to wake you up, so I answered it. Hope you don't mind???"

"Who was it??"

"Ishika. She fell asleep waiting for you last night, when she woke up, she saw you weren't back. She was worried."

"What time is it??", Sanyukta frowned.

"It's fifteen minutes past six ", he answered .

"Oh Hell---", she tried to run her hand through her hair,but it was a mass of knots .
"Did you tell her that I stayed here??"

"I told her you slept on the couch"

"Did she believe you??"

"Hard to say??"

"You mean she didn't ??"

"Would you??"

Sanyukta pouted,"But it's the truth.... Selectively speaking"

Randhir pushed the blanket aside and she saw that he was now wearing his jeans. Then she noticed the pillow on the floor.

"Didn't you go to bed???",she asked .

"No ....umm..... When I almost fell off the couch, I decided it would be safer to end up on the floor voluntarily."

"You must have been uncomfortable ?"

"No.. I was fine. I just wanted to be near..."

"What?????"

"Umm ... Nothing... Listen, would you like to have some breakfast???, he said diverting the subject.

"No .. I'm not hungry "

"Okay... Neither do I "

"Ummm... I have to go home", she said looking around for her clothes which were kept neatly folded and piled near the TV. " I'd better get dressed, first.."

"Good idea..", he chipped.

She waited but he didn't budge.

"Would you mind if I used your shower??, she asked wondering if she could make upstairs still wrapped in the blanket.

"Well... Actually it's not working .I've called the plumber ,he might be here in the afternoon. But you can have a bath, there should be enough of hot water."

"I'll do that then". Sanyukta tried to stand but the blanket was too large. If she tried to walk in it plus carry her clothes upstairs, she would probably trip . Allowing Randhir another view of her breasts would be far better than breaking her neck.
"On a second thought", she said." I'll have a shower after I get home."