The Quick Glimpse

It's February 4, 2006 and i'm on Paris France. I'm trying to get away from everything. Showbiz, drugs, rehabs and shitty stuff that I don't want to talk about. I just need a time-out, a time for relaxation. I checked my watch and it's 8:23pm so I decided to go for a walk in front of the Eiffel Tower. I find it relaxing. I opened my traveling bag and grabbed a pair of black denim jeans, white v-neck shirt, and a grey Nike sneakers. I put on a grey hoodie so people wouldn't recognize me.

I turned off the lights and went to the lobby. I'm at the Shangri-La hotel and it's just a few blocks away from the Tower so I don't mind walking. I put the hoodie on my head and my hands are on my pockets as I walked. Nobody seemed to notice me which is a great thing. There's a lot of things going through my head right now. A part of me wants to stop drugs but another part of me doesn't want to. If I continue doing drugs I might lose my career as an actor but I don't care. What if I lose it? It's my source of money. I'm stuck in the middle. I need to find myself.

My phone vibrated in my pocket. I checked it and it was my assistant Jimmy Rich so I answered. "Hey where are you?" He asked with a worried voice. "I'm at Paris, man." I said calmly. "You got me worried like shit about you. Seriously." I chuckled. "Don't worry about me. I'm fine. I just need some time for myself, man. A vacation, I guess." "Okay okay. Call me when you're back at Cali, so i'll pick you up." Now his voice sounds relieved. "Yeah yeah. See you soon. Bye." I said before turning off the call. I smiled a little. At least I know that some people still cares about me.

A few minutes later, i'm already at the front of the Tower. It looks great on the window at the hotel but it looks phenomenal when you're in front of it. It's golden yellow lights are breath-taking. Standing and shining proudly. As I looked around, tourists like me are taking pictures of it, photographers are taking pictures like crazy, families are happy playing with their kids, couples holding-hands and being lovey dovey to each other, locals walking normally and mimes are everywhere. You can see the joy in each person's face here. The joy that the Eiffel Tower brings them. Am I the only person here that's depress? Really? I need to brighten up. So I sighed and smiled. I looked to my left and I saw a man holding his daughter's hand while watching a mime perform. The little girl looks happy. "Daddy can I touch him?" The girl said to his dad. Her eyes were pleading. The mime heard what the girl said so he picked her up and let the girl kissed him on the cheek. That's cute. I looked to my right and a guy kneeled in front of his girl and opened a red box unveiling a ring. Even at a distance I heard the guy say "Will you marry me?" People around them that looks like their friends screamed in happiness while holding heart-shaped balloons and confetti. The girl's eyes became watery, she smiled and wiped her tears of joy and said "Yes." Their friends screamed and showered the both of them with red and white confetti. They hugged and kissed on the lips passionately. I smiled. I don't know them but seeing a live proposal made me happy.

I left them and as I was about to sit in a nearby bench when a beautiful woman with dark brown hair caught my eye. She's wearing a black denim long sleeves, red skinny jeans and white sneakers. She's surrounded by a bunch of people. They're taking pictures of her and handing her a piece of paper and a pen, as if they want her autograph. Camera flashes and chants everywhere. There are three guys around him that looks like her assistant, bodyguard and the other guy is I don't know. But he looks handsome. Her bodyguard shooed the people away while she tries to give the people some autographs. Is she a celebrity? I can't recognize her with all the people covering her. I tried to get a better look but still, the people are packed around her. And then a guy behind me shouted "Holy shit! Is that Hayley Knight?" Then a woman standing next to him shouted too "Oh my God! It's her. It's Hayley Knight!" And both of them ran to get near her. Hayley Knight? Wait, her name sounds familiar. Sweet mother of Christ! Hayley Knight. How can I not recognize her? She's also a celebrity. But way more famous than me. I got out of my thoughts and looked at her again. She's signing a notebook and she turned to me. It's a really quick turn like a one second turn and I saw her eyes. God her eyes are radiant! Even if it's just a quick glimpse I saw how beautiful she is. Especially her eyes.

My legs turned stiff. I don't fucking know why. I watched her with mixed emotions. Nervous, excited, happy and shit. She got inside her car, a light gray Chevrolet Corvette Z06 parked nearby. Wow she's a badass. The good-looking guy went to the passenger seat and her assistant and bodyguard went to a black SUV that's parked on the back of her badass sports car. She started the engine. It roared to life. Before she drove away she opened the windows and smiled to her fans. Before she was completely gone I saw the car's plate number "Knight06"

When she was gone the people was still star-struck about her. But they continued on their own businesses. I sat on the bench slowly. Still can't believe that I saw Hayley Knight. She's an Oscar nominee for her role Joan of Arc in 2001. She starred in movies with Neil Patrick Harris, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Tom Cruise, Robert De Niro and some famous stars. I looked at the Tower still with mixed emotions when a guy that looks in his 20's sat next to me with his friend. I heard him said "Jesus dude she's fucking hot. Can't believe it, we met her." "Sizzling hot, bro. I'm a fan of her since the Knuckleheads started." They're Australian. I can tell because of the accent. His friend said. That's right. She's the main cast in Knuckleheads. The Jackass girl version. And that movie is her way to fame. And also, I remembered. That's her last role in the showbiz industry. The Knuckleheads 2. She said that she'll take a break from acting to take care of some things. That was in 2004 when she left showbiz. But still, she's still famous and people still loves her. Which is unbelievable.

The two guys continued to talk about her when I stood up and left them. I strolled around for a bit. I was walking when two girls came to me and said "Oh my God. Are you Robert Downey Jr?" Shit. I got recognized. "Yes dear. I am. And please don't shout my name." I said cooly. "Oh my god it's you. We barely recognized you because of the hoodie! Why are you hiding?" They said as she handed me a small poster of my movie Kiss Kiss Bang Bang which is inside her bag and a pen. I signed it of course. The other girl took out her phone and took a picture of us. "Nah, I just don't want the paparazzi ruining my night." I answered. "They're dicks." The girl said and I chuckled. I hugged the both of them and we went separate ways.

After a few hours of strolling around I checked my watch and it's 11:30pm. Wow I should go back to the hotel. So I walked my way to the hotel. The receptionist greeted me a French accent "Good evening Mr. Downey." I winked at her and she hid her smile. I opened the door to my suite with the key they gave me and I turned on the lights. I was exhausted. I took of my clothes and went to bed in my boxers. I pulled the covers to me. Then I remembered Hayley Knight. She's perfect. I can still remember her unique and magical green eyes starring at me. I know i'm star-struck but I swear, when I saw her eyes, I saw something different. I read something in it. That I should stop doing drugs. I'm a little bit assuming because she didn't even recognize me but yeah, that's what I felt. I know this is a children thing but I had my crush at first sight. I smiled at myself and closed my eyes. A quick glimpse.