C.22

C.22 || Unexpected

Hazel

"Yeah mawmaw i'ma call you when I make it back."I paced back and forth in front of August's hospital bed.

"You betta'. I'm ti'ed of wondering what's goin' on with you. Howard too. That knuckle head ass boy still hasn't called me back."

I laughed."I'll text him for you."

"Alright. Kiss my grand baby fa' me?"

"No problem. Love you."

"Love you too."

I hung up my phone and watched as August struggled to reach ova' and grab his peaches off his food tray. I watched in amusement at first but once I noticed it really began to bother him I walked over and helped out.

"Thank you."He sighed.

I sat beside him,"No problem."

He watched me open it befo' I handed it ova' to him along with a spoon.

"I hate bein' so damn dependent."

"Just be happy you didn't die."

He scoffed and scooped some peaches onto a spoon."Trust me, I am."

"So anyways,"I huffed,"I'm leavin' to go back home tomorrow."

"Fa' what?"He tilted his head.

"Business I need to handle."I shrugged.

"Somethin' I could help wit'?"

"Nah, I'ca take care of it."

It was the followin' day of the test results and Treasure and I decided to come back to see August in the hospital this mornin'. His family happened to be hea' at the time too so we ended up tellin' them the news, well, we told the adults of the family the news.

We hadn't gotten around to how we would break it to Treasure just yet so we couldn't let his nieces hea' either. When the two of us decided we'd tell her we would have to do it alone.

It's been around twenty or so minutes since they all left to go back to their hotel, takin' Treasure along with them since she wanted to play with the girls.

"You sho'?"He smirked."I don't offer out my services often."

I rolled my eyes."I think I'll survive."

"Aight, coo'. So when you plan on comin' back?"

"I don't know."I shrugged."Probably in a couple of months or-"

"Months?"

"Yeah. A flight to Atlanta ain't cheap boy. Maybe for you it is but I can't just hop on a plane whenever I feel like it."

He sat the peaches in his lap while shakin' his head,"I ain't feelin' it."

"Whatchu' mean you not feelin' it?"