Chapter 18: Fans

“Tom!” I say loudly and gave him a hug, “What are you doing here!” I say when we pulled away.

“We’re doing a pub crawl and performing,” he said smiling and stuffing his phone in his pocket. “Hay guys! Guys!” he shouted and next Siva poked his head out the silver van I had missed.

“Arry!” Siva said loudly and fell forward, stopping himself from hitting the ground with quick feet. Jay crawled out quickly after him almost like he couldn’t believe his eyes. Siva threw him a look, but it vanished when he saw the look on his face.

“Hay guys,” I say smiling and hugging Siva and then Max and Nathan, Jay last because he hung back and I wasn’t sure if I could walk after. I took in a shaky breath as my head pressed in close to his chest; he brought his arms around me tightly and held me against him like he feared I’d fly away. Max let out a,

“Errm,” and I pulled away blushing.

“So! What did I say!” Nathan said beaming,

“That we’d call your city Nathanville?” I say and he laughed before grabbing my shoulder,

“You’re frickin famous woman!” he said, “Like really, really, really famous!” he said. I shrugged,

“That was one thing,” I say laughing. I paused for a moment to look at them before I said, “Man I’ve missed you guys! What’s been happing?”

“Well Max finally proposed,” Tom said grabbing his ear and pulled on it. “And baby Nath fell in love,” Tom said grabbing hold of Nathan’s ear and playfully pulled him closer, “It’s just Siva, Jay and me now,” Tom said pulling a face.

“That’s still most of the band,” Nathan complained trying to get free of Tom’s grip. I laughed and Tom hit him over the back of the head and Max took the chance to grab hold of his ear.

“So who’s the lucky girl Nath?” I ask going on my tippy toes and sinking down again (A habit I have). He smiled and blushed slightly,

“Her name is Hayley,” he said grinning ear to ear. “And she’s one of the most amazing girls in the world.”

“I’ll have to meet her,” I say smiling, “And congratulations Max!!! When’s the wedding?” I ask turning the attention on him. I’ve waited so long to say four words, but now I just had to change one word. One word. One World. One life that depended on it. I’m not getting myself silly about it; I wouldn’t jump of a bridge because someone said no.

“We haven’t set a date yet,” he said rubbing the back of his neck.

“He proposed in front of Tesco’s,” Siva said and everyone laughed making Max seem defensive.

“Yeah, yeah, but,” he started, “But if I hadn’t of then she would have known and it wouldn’t have worked.”

“He tripped and she picked up the box,” Jay said leaning in next to me to say the words.

“That reminds me of someone,” I say laughing and he poked his tongue out at me. A car horn honked and a man pulled his head out of the van window,

“We have to go guys!” he said.

“Yeah okay!” shouted Max. Tom gave me a hug goodbye and lumbered in the car with Max following. I gave a hug to Nathan and then he waved goodbye, climbing in the car while texting on his phone, that or tweeting. Siva gave me a big hug and I let out a groan, he laughed and then whispered in my ear,

“He still likes you,” before pulling away and smiling his big warm smile. I almost froze, but somehow kept my cool persona.

“Thanks,” I say back quietly and watched as he double glanced at Jay and me before vanishing in the van as well leaving Jay and me standing on the dead street.  A faint yellow glow from the street lamp kept the air between us alight with small friction. I stood watching him for a moment as he did the same before hugging him.