Chapter 12: I'll Be Your Strength

“We need one more song,” Nathan said tapping his pen against the paper pad in front of him.

“Well we have ten, isn’t that enough?” asked Tom who stood watching the snow scatter and plummet, dance to an angry beat and the die in a tragedy.

“Jayne said we have to have elven,” Max said. . His eyes were distanced and Jay had told me before that he missed his girlfriend Michelle Keegan off Coronation Street, but of cause he wouldn’t admit it. It was quiet for a moment and I swirled back and forth in the arm chair I was in, it seemed after the excitement of snow and staying with The Wanted had worn down a little for the guys. I didn’t really blame them, my shoulder throbbed and I could almost swear that the blood in my nightmares had come back to haunt me and every time I laughed I could feel it trail down my waist. To top that all off I had a headache from last night, although as it turns out asparagus really does help hangovers. *Scientifically proven. And now it was Arianna Destry proven.

“I’ve got a song written,” Jay said after what felt like an eternity of silence. Everyone turned to look at him and he flicked open the pad of paper he had and pushed it across the desk. I got a look at the title before Max picked it up. My heart gave a beat but couldn’t dare a look at him in fear of myself.  “I was thinking a slower beat that picks up near the end,” he said. I turned to Max who had Nathan and Siva shadowing him, Tom was still at the window staring off hazily into the snow as if no one had spoken. “It’s just a work-in-progress really, nothing flash,” he said in doubt. He sounded like he needed to fill the silence with his uncertainty of his song. It made me smile.

“I think it’s great, hay Arria what do you think?” Max asked and I felt Jay tense slightly, but it vanished with his cool persona quickly. I stood and Max shifted it towards Siva and I.

This is not going to last forever

It’s a time when you must hold on.

And I won’t let you surrender

And I’ll heal you if you’re broken.

It was all I could read before my head started swimming and my heart fluster. God woman! I tell myself angrily, You’re not some teenage fan girl! Clearly all the Ironic coincidences are completely everything and simply IRONIC! I looked up to Jay and smiled, looking down before I had a chance to catch his eyes. He wouldn’t like you anyway; you’re a crying mess…

“I think it’s great, does it fit with the rest of the album?” I ask.

“Yeah it does actually, when did you write this Jay?” asked Siva. I didn’t look at Jay but I heard him hesitate before saying,

“A while ago, earlier on in the year.”

Does that answer your question?! I think to myself trying hard to hide the disappointment in my eyes. He wrote it for another girl, not you. So I guess I could read on.

We can stand so tall together,

We can make it through the stormy weather.

We can go through it all together, do it all

Together, do it all.

I’ll be your strength.

I will, I will, I will.

I’ll be your strength,

Yes I will, yes I will. 

I won’t sleep until the sky is calmer,