Please Talk

Scott sat across from me with a worried look. I just couldn't speak. I wanted to, but I just couldn't seem to form words. This is Scott. He's the best guy I know.

"Ally, please. I need you to do something. I'll settle for you blinking. Just, do something. Say something."

"You're the healthiest person I know."

Scott shakes his head. "You're gonna have to pick a new healthiest person because I don't really qualify."

"Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy? What does that actually mean? You can't just say that you have a bad heart and leave me with so many questions."

"I have a thickened heart muscle. It can slow blood flow. I'm taking medication though. I was away last year because I was with doctors and therapists that helped me with the news and I got used to my new life style. The medication inhibits my performance so I had to adjust and work harder than ever before. I have to get check ups monthly but everything is going well."

"How did you get it?"

"My dad had it. It's hereditary. There was a fifty-fifty chance of me getting it. I got it. Do you hate me?"

I pull him closer to me. "I could never hate you. Your heart is perfect. Thick muscle or not. You're mine."

He wraps his arms around me and I bury my face into his shoulder. Scott's always eaten right. Other than the occasional cupcake, he's stayed away from anything unhealthy. He's always trying to stay in shape. He hasn't had soda since we were ten. It's not fair that he has this. I lay down and we lay on our sides facing each other. Scott fell asleep not too long after but I just kept staring at him. I kiss his forehead before standing and going to his laptop. I type in Lydia's and his mom's birthday. When it got denied, I added mine and got access. I had to keep my excitement down. I had to finish my task. I researched hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. I closed the laptop as soon as I read: Sudden Death. I went back to bed and purposely focused on only Scott's heartbeat.

It was steady and strong. It reflected him so well. He was always there to lend a helping hand and he was always happy. I've seen him upset a total of five times in all our years together. I can't even imagine a world without him.

"Scott," I whisper as I shake him gently. "Scott wake up."

He stretches and looks at me quickly. "What's wrong beautiful? Bad dream?"

"I never went to sleep. I just want to talk with you."

"Yeah, that's fine. Sleep is overrated anyway. What's on your mind?"

"You're doing ok? Like you're not just saying that so I don't worry?"

"I'm ok. Ally, I don't want you to worry about this. I've got everything under control." He kisses me quickly. "I'm always gonna be here for you."

I take his hand in mine and kiss it. "I love you. I just don't wanna lose you. I just got you back."

"You never lost me in the first place. We just didn't talk but I'll always be in your corner."

I press my forehead to his. "I'm sorry for bothering you with this. I just love you so much."

"I understand. I'd be acting the same way if the roles were reversed." He kisses me quickly. "Now you need to get some rest."

I sigh and bury my face into his neck. "Ok. I love you."

"I love you too. Sweet dreams."

Sleep was a nice escape. It was dreamless but waking up to Scott smiling down at me was better than any dream I could've dreamt.