Chapter 4- Take The Damn Bag Too

I woke up bright an early the next morning. I was surprised that almost everyone was already up or just getting up. Deciding not to wear my jean jacket, I slipped on a white vest jacket before redoing my pony-tale.

Quickly I snacked on some snacks before heading over to Rick. "Hey, we still heading out today?" I asked, walking next to him as he headed over to a truck.

Rick sighed and stopped, setting his hands on his hips, "We're going to need you here."

This shocked me, "Wait, what?"

"Daryl told me how good you were out there, but now you got to prove yourself to my wife. Yesterday you went hunting, today you help out around the place."

I wanted nothing more than to protest, but knew that if I did then I'd never get into this group, nor would I ever get my gun back. A sigh left my lips, "Alright, fine."

"Thanks," Rick said, nodding to me before walking away.

I stood there for a moment before joining Lori, who was hanging up clothes to finish drying. "Need some help?" I asked, part of me hoping she'd say no but the other part hoping she'd say yes just so I had something to do.

"Sure," Lori said with a smile, making me join her.

"So, has Rick given you the okay to stay with us?" Lori asked as she hung up a shirt to dry.

I shook my head, "Not yet, said I have to prove myself around here."

Lori smiled and nodded in understanding, "What did you do before this?"

Why was everyone asking me that? Was it like a start off question and if you didn't answer then you weren't part of the group?

"Nothing."

"Oh come on, what was your job? Did you have any kids or a husband?" Lori asked with a smile, telling me she wasn't trying to push, just get to know me.

A small smile crept on my face, "No kids, though before all of this I could have given you eight different kids names that called me their big sister or mother."

I wasn't lying, kids did love me before all of this. Now, I haven't seen any kids besides Carl. Minus a few kid walkers, but those don't count.

Lori chuckled, "And a husband?"

I finished up with the clothes and sighed. "Listen Lori, thank you for being so nice to me, I really appreciate it, but as for the questions. I don't have kids, never did. Never had a husband and only had three boyfriends in my entire life. My job was stupide and ridicules. And before you ask about family or friends let me summarize it with this. I. Am. Alone. Always have been."

Lori was silent as I grabbed the basket and headed up to the house. The rest of the day was me helping out around the house. Cleaning, dusting, even pulling some weeds.

Maggie tried to get me to help with the cooking but I was a horrible cook, so she sent me off to do something else.

I grabbed my knife from my pocket and headed to the woods near-by. I stood outside of the woods, but my knife was continuously hitting a tree with-in it. Or, Daryl's knife.

A sigh left my lips as I missed another tree. At this point, I was about ready to stop and just sharping things until someone found something for me to do. A rustling noise in the trees stopped my movements.

I stood still, looking into the woods for the source of the sound. It's probable a walker or, if we're lucky, an animal.

It wasn't any of those things.