Chapter 41- Hit, But Still Moving

Daryl and I were grabbing our bags and weapons, securing them around each other's body. "That car was headed downtown. I say we get up in one of the tall ones, get ourselves a view, see what we see," Daryl said, looking at me as I secured my gun on my back.

"We should stay close to the buildings and keep quiet. It may not keep them away, but at least that way we have a better chance of escaping."

I got a nod from Daryl before we left the secured room and building. I will admit, I was kind of sad to leave. A bed and a beautiful view was all I ever wanted, now I have to give it up once again.

At least I have Daryl.

Quickly, we moved against the buildings and over to a hooked building. Once we made it past the Walkers, we headed inside only to be greeted by a large, glass hallway of Walkers. But this time the Walkers were caught in sleeping bags and tents.

"I don't know whether to laugh or gasp in shock," I said, looking at the caught Walkers. "Some days, I don't know what the hell to think either," Daryl says as he pulls out his knife.

We killed the four Walkers in the sleeping bags, leaving the ones in the tents alone. Once we made it to the end of the hallway, we found ourselves closed off by a chain on the door.

"Hope you didn't have a big breakfast," I said as I pushed the door as far as it would open before throwing my gun and bag on the other side, slipping through.

"You callin me fat?" Daryl asked, smirking at me as he did the same and slipped through, just making it through. I laughed and shook my head, walking next to him as we scanned through a couple of rooms.

An office came into view, giving us a perfect view of the city. It was only then that we found that half of the city was either burnt or falling apart.

"How did we get here?" I thought, but it must have slipped through my lips. Daryl shrugged and hummed in response, "We just did." I sighed and leaned on the wall, looking away from the window. "I hate this, I hate that we can't just settle down and live."

Daryl looked at me questionable, listening to me. "I remember asking myself when all hell broke loose, "Why not just do it? Why not end it all right now?" But I didn't want to, I wanted to be the one that survived and found life in this new world. Little did I know it would be this hard."

He took my hand in his, making me look down at our hands before looking at him. "Ya did survive, and you're right here, trying to live."

I smiled and leaned over, giving him a kiss before pulling away to find his eyes looking out the window. "What? Do you see something?" Daryl's face formed a look of confusion before he mumbled, "Maybe."

My eyes followed Daryl's, squinting a little to see what he was looking at. A white van had two crosses on the back windows. The van was half off the bridge, but still standing.

"It looks like it's been there for a while, definitely one of 'em," I said, looking around to find a jug of water. "We should fill up," I said, grabbing my water bottle and Daryl's canteen.

Daryl hummed in response, turning away from the window to watch me. His eyes wandered to a large painting, a soft chuckle leaving his lips. "What?" I asked, turning to look at him as I took a sip of water.

"I bet this cost some rich prick a lot of money," Daryl said as I gave him his canteen. "Looks like a dog sat in paint, wiped its ass all over the place," he said, making me laugh.

"And you say I have a wild imagination," I mumbled, causing Daryl to look at me, "Cause ya do."

I rolled my eyes and rearranged my bag, "You know me." Daryl nodded and said, "Yup," stopping by me. I smiled and laid my head on his shoulder for a second before patting his chest, "Come on angel vest."