Chapter 44- The Mysterious Man

The barn had become somewhat of a safe haven throughout the night and into the next morning. Sure it smelt like horse crap and still didn't provide us with any food or water, but it was still a safe.

Everyone found a spot somewhere, cleaning their weapons and putting them back together.

By now, everyone knew about the pregnancy, thanks to the voice of Rick. I haven't talked to Rick all morning, haven't even looked at him really, just a few glances here and there.

I was still a bit annoyed and angry with him; hearing him talk about this world like it was some type of great vacation sickened me. This world was nowhere near a vacation, and though Daryl didn't say it, I knew he agreed with me. Then again, we both never want to go back to what was before this either.

Maggie opened the barn door, followed by Sasha as they entered, "Hey, everyone, this is Aaron." Everyone looked up, seeing a man enter the barn. Immediately, everyone raised their guns or weapons, prepared just like always.

As Maggie talked, Daryl walked over, poked his head out to see if anyone was around and checked the guy. "We met him outside, he's by himself. We took his weapons and we took his gear."

Carl handed me the chains for the barn, keeping it locked and secured. "Hi, it's nice to meet you," Aaron said with a smile as he looked at everyone in the group.

The first thing I noticed about this guy was that he didn't have a speck of dirt on him, his clothes didn't even hold any. The next thing I noticed was his bag that slung around his shoulder. As a precaution, I grabbed the man's bag, throwing it to the side, away from him.

"You said he had a weapon?" Rick asked, sending Sasha up to hand him the smallest gun in the world, clearly not big enough to kill someone with one shot but a bullet's a bullet. I've learned that quickly.

Rick scuffed at the weapon, checking it before sliding it in his back pocket. "There something you need?"

Sasha stood back with Aaron and Maggie, "He has a camp, nearby. He wants us to audition for membership."

"I wish there was another word. Audition makes it sound like we're some kind of a dance troupe. That's only on Friday nights." Clearly he was trying to make light of the situation but Daryl and I stayed behind him, a laugh never leaving any of our lips.

"Um, and it's not a camp. It's a community. I think you all would make valuable additions. But it's not my call. My job is to convince you all to follow me back home."

Yeah, that defiantly doesn't sound bad at all.

"I know, if I were you, I wouldn't go either." Damn right, so why are you asking? "Not until I knew exactly what I was getting into. Sasha, can you hand Rick my pack?"

Sasha grabbed the bag on the ground and handed it to Rick who hesitantly took it. Aaron continued to speak as Rick reached in and pulled out pictures. "Front pocket, there's an envelope. There's no way I could convince you to come with me just by talking about our community. That's why I brought those. I apologize in advance for the picture quality. We just found an old camera store last..." Aaron started but Daryl spoke up.

"Nobody gives a shit."

Aaron glanced at Daryl and I, nodding, "You're absolutely 100% right." His attention turned back to Rick, "That's the first picture I wanted to show you because nothing I say about our community will matter unless you know you'll be safe. If you join us, you will be. Each panel in that wall is a 15-foot-high, 12-foot-wide slab of solid steel framed by cold-rolled steel beams and square tubing. Nothing alive or dead gets through that without our say-so. Like I said, security is obviously important. In fact, there's only one resource more critical to our community's survival. The people."