Chapter 25- The Plan Failed

Daryl's POV

Rick, Hershel, and I all stood by the fence outside, next to one of the watch towers. The plan was to hand Michonne over, not risk starting a war we're not even sure we can win.

"It's the only way. No one else can know, especially not Starlet," Rick said, looking more at me then Hershel.

This will be the first time I lie to her about a plan. But Rick's right, if she finds out she could go off on her own. And I'm not ready to lose her. I may never be ready. Which is why I won't let her go out there.

"When are we gonna tell 'em then?" I asked, holding the strap of my crossbow that sat over my shoulder.

"After, but we have to do it today. It has to be quiet," Rick said, looking between Hershel and me.

I nodded, "You got a plan?"

"We tell her we need to talk. Away from the others," Rick said, leaving me already knowing the rest. I sighed, looking around, "This just ain't us, man."

Hershel sighed, looking at the ground as he readied his crutches, "No. No, it isn't." With that, he walked away from us, leaving us alone.

Rick sighed before continuing "We do this, we avoid a fight and no one else dies. I know that this isn't us, but it's this, start a war that we might not even be able to win, or hand over Starlet."

I shook my head, "No, I won't do that."

Rick nodded, agreeing with me before saying, "We're gonna need someone else to help us."

The look on Rick's face already told me he meant Merle. I agreed and offered to talk to him but Rick shook his head, "No, I'll do it."

"I'll go with you," I said, ready to walk but Rick's voice stopped me, "No, just me. Right now I need you to keep an eye on Starlet. Make sure she doesn't try and sneak off."

"You think she would?" I asked, worried a bit.

Rick shook his head, "I don't think so. But if she finds out what we're doing then she might."

I nodded, "Easy job for me then. Good luck," I said, nodding to him. Rick nodded back as I walked away from him, heading off to where Starlet, Maggie, Glenn, Michonne, and Carl stood laughing.

"What I'd miss?" I asked, standing next to Starlet as I looked at the small group. "Nothing you need to worry about," Starlet said, patting my chest before nodding to Michonne. "Michonne had an idea, we put wire around the field to stop the trucks if they show up."

I looked at Michonne, already knowing that because of this good idea it would make everything in this plan harder.

"Alright then, let's get to work," I said with a nod.

"Maggie and Carl can lure the Walkers, keep them off our backs while Michonne, Daryl, and I set up the wire."

Shaking my head I said, "Na, Starlet why don't you help Maggie and Carl out. They could use you."

Starlet looked at me confused before saying in a confused voice, "Um, sure."

We headed off, gathering the barbed wire that sat on some wood and throwing them into the truck. Glenn drove while Michonne and I sat them up. My eyes kept glancing over to where Starlet, Maggie, and Carl were yelling to get the Walker's attention.

"Hey, she's alright," Michonne said as we hopped back up into the truck.

"Ya, I know," I said, turning my head and looking off somewhere else. It took us about 30 minutes before we were all set up, heading back to the fenced in field that wasn't filled with Walkers.