Chapter 10- Think Quick or Die

Daryl and I started to head back to the farmhouse, somehow finding our way through the woods in the middle of the night.

My mind wandered around like a bullet. It wasn't until I realized that Daryl had stopped did my mind finally rest. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, just thought I heard something."

I looked around, nothing. "I don't hear anything, don't tell me you're already losing it Daryl Dixon."

I gave him a smirk, making him say his usual two words, "Shut up."

Once again, those words meant something more than just a joking shut up. Even though I didn't know for sure what we were, nor did we ever exchange the words, I felt like his "shut up" really meant "I love you".

When we started to head to the house I felt someone grab my hand, making me look down to see Daryl's hand in mine. Wasn't expecting that.

By the time we had gotten on the porch we had let go of each other's hands. "I got to grab a couple more things. I'll meet you inside," I said.

Daryl nodded to me, heading inside while I headed back to my tree. On my way back from the woods I had seen that my sheet was still up. I leaned my gun on the tree and grabbed my sheet, folding it.

Everything else was taken care of, might as well do what Rick said and do my own part. Suddenly a gun shot went off, making me jump and look out towards the field.

Rick and Shane must have found the kid.

My gut was telling me I was wrong, to get inside right now. But, I continued to fold up my sheet. My body froze as my eyes glanced out at the field. Hundreds of walkers were closing in on us, headed straight for us.

A few stragglers were almost right on top of me, making me drop the sheet and quickly duck down. I wouldn't be able to make it to the house, but if I stayed here I'd be taken out for sure.

A memory from when I was a kid, living out in the woods and climbing trees, made my body go into action. My hands grasped the tree branches, pulling myself up. Another hand swooped down and grabbed my gun.

I stayed low and quiet as a couple of Walkers made their way towards me. Quietly, I cocked my gun, aiming it at the two Walkers that came by. Before I could let out a shot, the familiar sound of Daryl's motorcycle and the engine of cars filled my eyes.

The RV, truck, van, and Daryl's motorcycle pulled up, firing at the Walkers. I kept my body in the tree, shooting any that got to close to the house. One by one they were being shot down.

When I glanced over, I saw the barn engulfed in flames and the RV quickly drive over to it. We were all shooting the Walker, but it seemed like as one fell, two more took its place.

I looked over to the house, shooting one that was almost on the porch. Lori and Beth were outside, watching in horror.

We needed to get out of here.

I slipped out of the branches and onto the ground, running over to the house. "Starlet, Starlet, have you seen Carl?"

"I think he's with Rick, but we got to get out of here. Grab as much stuff as you can," I said, following Beth's eyes to right behind me. Quickly I turned around, grabbing my knife and sticking it into the Walker's head. "Now! Move!" I yelled, pushing them towards the door.

They ran in, grabbing a bag each before running outside. I grabbed my back, throwing it onto my back. I looked over to see Daryl's crossbow and quickly grabbed that as well, slipping it on my arm.

The back door busted open, letting in the Walkers. I shot a couple before running out the front door.

"Star! Starlet! Star!" I heard Daryl's voice. I looked over to see him driving his motorcycle over to the house. I ran off the porch, meeting him half-way. "Get on!" he yelled over the gun firing.

I slipped onto the back of his bike, wrapping my arms around him and hanging on for dear life as he drove off. I looked behind us, watching as the barn was taken in flames and the house, by Walkers.

At the sight, I buried my head into Daryl's back, not able to look. That was where I first kissed Daryl, where I became part of this group, this family. Now it's all gone, just like everything else.

My mind started to wonder what had happen to everyone else, but I couldn't focus on anything.

We slipped through some backroads, going through another field before ending up on another hidden backroad. The sun was starting to rise, bring light to the air. Yet, it didn't feel any lighter, it felt dark and empty.

My arms clung to Daryl, happy to have him here with me. We had to meet up with the others though. "The highway, do you think that's where they'd meet up?" I yelled over Daryl's engine.

"Might be, worth a look," Daryl yelled back, keeping his eyes on the road. We ended up meeting with the van and truck, looking like it was Glenn, Maggie, Beth, Lori, and T-Dog.

We continued to drive until we reached the highway, stopping by a red truck that looked to belong to the farm. Daryl and I got off the bike, Rick meeting us there. He shook hands with Daryl, nodding to him. Then he came up to me and gave me a hug, "You alright?"

"Yeah," I said, looking over to see Carl running to his mother. Rick walked over to her, hugging her and pulling her close for a kiss. Hershel hugged Maggie and Beth, thrilled to see them alive.

Rick looked at Daryl and me, "Where'd you find everyone?"

"Well, those guys' tail lights zigzagging all over the road," Daryl said nodding to Glenn who was standing right next to me.

I hit his cap, saying, "We had to figure he had to be Asian, driving like that." Glenn smiled and let out a small laugh, fixing his cap.

"Where's the rest of us?" Daryl asked, looking around at the small group.

Rick shrugged, sighing, "We're the only ones who made it so far."

Lori looked around, "Shane?" she asked, getting a shake of his head from Rick.

"Andrea?" Glenn asked, getting a shrug from Rick, "She's either gone or dead. Either way we can't go back there, she's smart, she'll survive."

A Walker started slowly walking up on us, making me slip off Daryl's crossbow and bump his arm, nodding to the crossbow, then to the walker. "We gotta keep moving. There has to be walkers crawling all over here," I said as Daryl took the crossbow.

"I say head east," T-Dog said.

"Stay off the main roads. The bigger the road, the more walker assholes like this one," Daryl said before shooting the Walker.

Lori spoke up, "Starlet saved Beth and I, told us to grab our bags."

"At least we got something," Beth said, looking between everyone.

I could feel everyone's eyes on me, waiting for something to be said. Rick spoke up, "Thank you, you could have saved our lives."

"Well, I'm not one for being in a group, but I know when we aren't coming back," I said, fixing my grey jacket that hung on my body.

"Alright, let's move out," Rick said, getting in the red truck.

I looked at Daryl who looked over at me. "Need a ride?" I smiled, "Always," I said, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek before joining him back on the bike.

If this was how I was living my life, on the back of a redneck's bike, I would be happy.