Chapter 23- I Love You

Everyone gathered inside the prison, still shaken up from the governor attacking us. One part of the fence was almost completely down, worrying everyone. The only good part?

Daryl was back, but with his brother.

"We're not leaving," Rick said while Daryl and I stood on the second floor, listening to the group.

"We can't stay here," Maggie objected, causing Rick to look at the ground and sigh.

Glenn nodded, "Maggie's right, I mean we can't even go outside."

"Not in the daylight at least," I added, causing Glenn to glance up at me before looking back at Rick.

I spoke up, unsure of which side I agreed with, "Rick says we're not running, we're not running."

"Staying here and waiting to die isn't any better," Beth spoke up, holding Kickass, who was now named Judith, in her arms.

"You got a better idea?" I asked Beth, actually hoping for another answer.

Glenn quickly spoke up, nodding, "Yeah, we should have slid out of here last night and lived to fight another day. But we lost that window, didn't we? I'm sure he's got scouts on every road out of this place by now."

He's got a point, we can't leave now.

"We ain't scared of that prick," Daryl said, leaning on the railing next to me as we looked down at the group.

"Y'all should be," Merle spoke up, causing me to look over to see him behind locked bars. We had to keep him locked up, we didn't want him walking around like a trusted member.

He couldn't be trusted and he wasn't a member of this group.

Merle continued, "That truck through the fence thing, that's just him ringing the doorbell. We might have some thick walls to hide behind, but he's got the guns and the numbers. And if he takes the high ground around this place, shoot, he could just starve us out if he wanted to."

Daryl pushed himself off the railing, walking over to the end of the hall, glaring down at him. Daryl and I hadn't been able to catch up yet, just a quick slap and a kiss.

I had no idea what was going through his head right now. Hell I had no idea what was going through my own head.

"He's got a point," I said, causing everyone to look at me surprised.

"Well, the girlfriend trusts me," Merle said with a filthy smirk. I glared at him, "I wouldn't go that far."

Maggie spoke up, "So, what do we do?"

"I said we should leave. Now Axel's dead. We can't just sit here," Hershel said.

Rick shook his head, grabbing his gun and starting to head for the door. Hershel boosted himself onto his crutches. "Get back here!" He yelled, causing Rick to stop and listen to Hershel, clearly unhappy with him.

"You're slipping, Rick. We've all seen it. We understand why. But now is not the time. You once said this isn't a democracy. Now you have to own up to that. I put my family's life in your hands. We all did. So get your head clear and do something," Hershel said, making a point.

Everyone looked at Rick, causing him to look at all of us before nodding. "Alright, Maggie you take first watch. Eyes open, head down. Field's filled with walkers. I didn't see any snipers out there, but it's just to be safe. If you get tired, get someone to fill your spot."

Maggie nodded to him, heading outside to keep watch.

Daryl and I headed down the stairs, "Starlet and I can head up in the guard tower, take out half them walkers, give these guys a chance to fix the fence."