Chapter 27- 30 Days

Chapter 27- 30 Days

30 days without an accident. Without a fight. Without death.

30 days with hope. With freedom. With family. With Daryl.

We were happy together. According to Maggie, she saw wedding bells in our future, which only made me laugh.

The prison was full, yet everyone seemed to get along. A small farm filled with some pigs sat in the yard. A garden was growing, filled with food that kept us fed.

I turned around, smiling when my head came into contact with a hard chest. "You're watching me again," I said, my eyes still closed yet I could still feel Daryl's eyes on me.

Daryl's chest moved up and down slightly as a small chuckle escaped his lips, "Habit." At that word, I looked up and ran my hands through his long hair. He's let his hair grow, everyone has.

Yet, he looked even more handsome with long hair.

"Come on, we have to get to work," I said with a sigh as I sat up. "Or, we can stay, no one will notice," Daryl said with a smile as he ran his hand up and down my back.

I smiled, and grabbed my clothes, changing while I said, "Every girl out there seems to have their eye on you. I think they'll notice if you don't go out today."

Daryl laughed, making me look at him and lean down, "And I'm going out to remind them that you're all mine."

"No need to remind them, they know," Daryl whispered to me. I smiled and gave him one last kiss before leaving the watch tower.

Ever since the group grew, we've had to make more room. Which meant Maggie and Glenn stayed in one watch tower while Daryl and I stayed in the other. Daryl didn't mind, he liked having a place to himself.

I walked through the field, watching as men, women, and children ran around or sat down to eat breakfast. Carl and Rick were tending to the pigs, feeding them to fatten them up so we can eat them.

"I see the pigs are growing," I said with a smile as I walked over to the small fenced in area where the pigs were. Carl and Rick looked up, "Bigger and bigger every day," Rick said.

"When will they be big enough to eat?"

Carl gave me a look that made me put my hands up in the air, "Sorry. Anything you want me to do today?"

Rick walked over, "Maybe make a run into town. Double check everywhere, see if there is anything we missed."

I nodded, "Alright, I'll let Daryl know." With that, I turned and left, heading over to the breakfast table where the food sat. The sound of people saying hi to Daryl, made me turn to find him all dressed and walking over to me.

He held this emotionless look as a few more people said good morning to him, causing him to turn and look at them before looking at me again. "Smells good," Daryl said, grabbing a plate of food.

I smiled, turning so I was leaning on a railing and watching the crowd. "Just remember," I started and looked at Daryl who looked at me, "I liked you first."

"Stop," Daryl said, looking down at his food before looking at me with a small blush on his face. "You know, Rick brought in a lot of them, to many."

Shrugging, I said, "Yeah, but it makes us stronger. Besides, you're just upset because every day someone thanks you for bringing in more food." Daryl shrugged, "I'm not upset."

"No, you're not used to it," I said, looking at him before taking his hand in mine, setting down my plate, "Come with me, I want to show you something."