Chapter 66- We Need People... And Apples

"No! No way in hell!" Gregory said as he moved from his window, overlooking The Hilltop. He turned and slowly started to pace before sitting in his chair, "That was not the deal. You people swore you could take the Saviors out, and you failed. So any arrangement we had is now done, null and void. We aren't trade partners, we aren't friends, and we never met. I owe you nothing. In fact, you owe me for taking in the refugees, at great personal risk."

I rolled my eyes at this guy, my legs wanting me to walk over and punch him in hopes of knocking some scenes into him.

Daryl stood next to me, next to the fireplace, his arm brushing against mine or his hand reaching down and grabbing hold of mine.

"Oh, you were very brave staying in here while Maggie and Sasha saved this place. Your courage was inspiring," Jesus said, his voice showing the load of bull crap he had for this man before us.

Gregory glared at Jesus, "Hey, don't you work for me? Aren't we friends?"

Rick sighed, rubbing his temples in frustration before saying in a calm voice, "Gregory, we already started this." Pointing to Rick, Gregory said, "You started it."

"We did, and we're gonna win" Rick said, taking a step towards him. "These are killers," Gregory said, eyeing Rick, wondering what his next move will be. "So are we," I said, the words not knowingly left my lips while my arms crossed. Gregory looked over at me and stood up, pointing his finger at me.

"You shouldn't even be here. Negan will be knocking down every door looking for your husband and you. If he finds you here, then we're all dead."

Daryl took a step in front of me, eyeing Gregory with anger and annoyance, "Ya want to try something? Go ahead, see how it plays out for you."

Gregory processed Daryl's word before slowing sitting back in his giant chair. Daryl took this as a surrender and took a couple of steps back next to me.

Rick looked over at us before turning his attention back to Gregory, "Is this how you want to live? Under their thumb, killing your people?"

Gregory looked at Rick with such a straight face I was ready to go over and kick him. I didn't realize I had taken a step towards him until I felt Daryl's hand on my arm, lightly pulling me back next to him.

"Sometimes we don't get to choose what our life looks like. Sometimes, Ricky, you have to count the blessings you have."

Maggie spoke up this time, "How many people can we spare? How many people here can fight?" I could tell she was getting tired of this circle conversation and just wanted to get out of here like I did.

"We?" Gregory asked, moving in his chair to look at Maggie. He scuffed before saying, "I don't even know how many people we have, Margaret. And does it even matter? I mean what are you gonna do? Start a platoon of sorghum farmers? 'Cause that's what we got. They grow things. They're not gonna want to fight."

"You'd be surprised," I said, causing everyone to look at me. "When it comes time to stop something bad and do something good, people usually jump in."

Gregory pulled his eyes to me, glaring at me. His mouth opened to say something but before he could, Rick spoke up with less patience. "Would we be better off without the Saviors, yes or no?"

With a sigh and throw of his hand, the dirt bag sitting in his leather chair said, "Yeah, sure, okay."

"So, what will you do to fix the problem?" Michonne asked, getting impatient as well. Even Michonne who had more hope and patience with people was getting annoyed with this guy.