Chapter 5- Secrets, Lies, And A Dead Barn

A couple of days had passed and Carl was now on his feet, already ready to use a gun. Daryl was better as well, resting most of the time but that didn't stop him from trying to sneak out.

Rick still wanted me to keep my eye on him, which I don't know why since neither one of us are talking. After the bringing him dinner situation, both of us just stayed away from each other.

I wanted to talk, to apologies, but I wasn't sorry about what I said. It was the truth.

Finally I pulled myself together and headed to where he was lying in a tent, playing with an arrow. He glanced up and looked at me as I walked into the tent.

"Anything new out there?" Daryl asked, his eyes watching me as I sat down.

"Nothing, but Glenn is acting really weird," I said, pulling out the knife and playing with it a little.

Daryl looked at his arrow, "He's always weird. People like him aren't going to make it very long."

"He made it this far, he may surprise you," I said, looking at Daryl to only find him lost in his mind.

I sighed before flipping the knife and holding it out to him. He looked at the knife before looking at me, "I said you could keep it," he said in his southern accent.

"I know, but it means something to you. If someone took the only thing that means something to me, I'd want it back."

Daryl nodded to me, "Whatcha got that's so important to ya?"

"Does it matter?" I asked with a sigh, still holding the knife out to him. His eyes moved back to the arrow, "I said keep it. Don't make me say it again."

I was partly startled by his attitude, but eventually got over it and sighed, slipping the knife back into its holder. "I'm heading out to practice some shooting, want to join me?"

"Not supposed to," Daryl mumbled.

A smiled crept on my face, "That hasn't stopped you yet." Daryl looked at me, his eyes seeming to study me more than usual. "You don't know me."

"I never said I did," I said, shaking my head before standing up. "I'll be leaving in about five minutes. If you want to tag along then meet me by the fence, otherwise, enjoy staring at the arrow."

I left the tent, heading over to Rick who had the gun bag, double checking everything in it. "So, Carl wants to learn how to shoot."

"Yeah," Rick said with a sigh, looking around with his hands on his hips. "Do you think it's foolish of me to let him?"

Shaking my head, I said, "No, now a days people need to learn how to protect themselves, even kids. Maybe don't let him carry it around with him everywhere, but don't be afraid to show him how the safety works."

Rick nodded, "You need something?"

"Yeah, my gun, I'm heading out to practice shooting, maybe do a little hunting."

"You got someone going with you?" Rick asked, grabbing my gun and holding it out to me.

Taking the gun and throwing it over my back I said, "Na, unless Daryl changes his mind."

"Got to have someone out there, after everything that's been happened you got to have someone with you," Rick said, setting the new rule. Or law. I sighed, knowing that everyone else was already busy and there was no way in hell I was asking Shane to come.