Chapter 9

It killed me. It absolutely killed me to ask him to wait for a response. I should have said yes! What was I thinking? I should have kissed him.

"Rachel? Rachel!" I shouted into the phone when she picked up.

"Phil!" She sarcastically replied. I normally would have rolled my eyes, but there was no time for that.

"Dan! He asked me out!" I exclaimed. I heard a gasp on the other side of the line, then a squeal.

"How? What happened? Tell me EVERYTHING!" Rachel screamed back, followed by a quiet 'sorry', probably to her parents.

"Well I was really upset, so I went to the woods, right? I got there and was really sad, and Dan showed up and was like 'Phil, are you okay?' and I was like 'no!' and I started to panic and tell him why I was sad- and he kissed me!" I started to explain. I took a huge breath and continued, ignoring her screaming from the other side.

"Then he told me that he's had a crush on me for a long time, and how he noticed things about me. Then he listed things that he liked about me and I was crying and he was crying and he made me feel perfect. Then I told him about how he's my hero, and all the things I like about him, and he cried again, and then we laid down on the ground in silence for a while." I breathed again, I was starting to get light headed.

"Then he's like 'what does this mean for us?' and I was like 'I don't know' and then he walked me home and we talked about coming out, then when we got home, and I started to say bye. But he cut me off by asking me to be his boyfriend." I finished breathily. She squealed again.

"Tell me you said yes!" Rachel whisper- yelled. I had been smiling, remembering the hot boy, but then my face dropped and I couldn't be happy.

"I... I didn't." I whispered. I heard a gasp on the other side of the line.

"Did you tell him that you needed to think about it? Please say you did!" She said exasperatedly. I nodded, then realized she couldn't hear me.

"Yeah, that's what I told him," I remarked. "Rachel, what should I do?"

"If you need to think about it, think about it! Ask yourself these questions: Do you want to date him? Does he make you feel good? Would he ever break your heart?" She advised. I slowly exhaled. Rachel Oakley always knew what to say.

"Well... yes, yes, and hell no." I answered softly, starting to grin. I did want to date him. Did that mean I got to kiss him every day?

"That's good! But don't tell him yet. Think about it. And- oh! My parents are calling me. Damn, we have to go to my gran's house." She was interrupted. She used to tell me how much she hated her gran, because she would always call her fat. Which she wasn't, and everybody knew.

"Okay, I'll think about it. You're so good at relationship advice, I still don't understand why you and Collin aren't dating yet." I thanked her. "And remember, I'm praying for your gran to shut the hell up because you're perfect."

"Thanks Phil. I'll message you later." I could hear her smiling.

"Bye Rachel." I replied and hung up the phone. I put it down and threw myself on the bed. I didn't make any noise, I just smiled, remembering Dan.

(--)(--)(--)(--)(--)(--)(--)(--)(--)

For the millionth time, my dad pounded on the door so I could hear it over my music. I was listening to 'Say You Like Me' on repeat, very loudly. It reminded me of Dan, reminded me of hugging him. Kissing him.

I paused it, humming to the song as I walked out of the room. I ran down the stairs, hopping over the last 3 steps and landing on my feet.

He's the guy that no one ever knows. And I say hi but he's too shy to say hell-o. He's just waiting for that one, to take his hand and shake him up- I bet I could