3- Difficulties and Standards

The Runaways

Chapter Three
Difficulties and Standards

After more than three hours of sleep in the passengers seat, you pushed your dog off of your legs and moved her back to the backseat. "Good morning." Arthur smiled. You stretched out, "Morning?" He nodded as you jolted up, "What time is it?" You asked worridly. He raised a brow, looking rather relaxed, "what's your rush, it's only give in the morning." You tilted your head, "Really? Where are we?" You asked. He smiled, "Well, we have passed through the state borders and we are now in Tennessee."

Your stress left you, "Wow... But we should still be careful, you're driving and are underage." He shrugged, "Well..." You cocked a brow, "What do you mean 'well'?" he shrugged again, making you grumpier.

"I refilled the car with more gasoline and we should get to Kentucky soon, then Virginia then, Washington!" Arthur smiled happily, "Basically." You groaned as you played with the radio.

"Oh!" You shouted a while later, startling Arthur, "What?" He shouted back angrily. You laughed, "Did you hear about the Italian chef?" You asked. He shook his head, "No..." You laughed and answered, "He PASTA WAY!" You tried to control your laughter as he face palmed, "You sound just like my friend." He groaned.

You turned towards him, "Oh so I do? How so?" He slightly smiled, "You are both callow and make the rainiest day a little less... Rainy even though inside you're in pain, aren't you?" You narrowed your eyes as you turned towards him, "How do you know that?" His eyes were set on the road and a smile grew on his face, "You're just like him. But you won't admit to how you feel, will you?" You shook your head, "Of course not. No one cares." He looked at you sadly, "I'm someone, and though we have known one another no longer than a day, I care about you." This made you blush, there was truth in what he said. So much truth. So much of it. "T-Thanks." You muttered out. "Don't mention it." He added as you both sat in silence the rest of the ride to the next state border.

"Hey, _________, listen." Arthur began later on. "Although we are practically going to be in some trouble, assuming we both ran away from home, and stole this vehicle and robbed a gas station, I want to say something."

You lowered the music on the radio, "If you want to say it, say it." You commanded. He bit his lower lip and looked at you at the corner of his eyes, "Please, don't put your feet on the car seat... And clean up after yourself."

You smirked and opened a bag of chips. You propped your feet up on the seat and when you finished the chips, you dropped the bag on the floor. You kicked your fingers as he shot you a glare, "________, please stop it and clean up after yourself, that's not lady-like." He protested. You laughed and pointed out, "Neither is running away from home, eating tuna, and robbing a gas station, but I did that too!" He sighed, "Do you want to go back?"

"Of course not!" You shot back. He pulled the car over, "Then clean this up, I have standards I wish to keep. You looked at him angrily as you had no choice but to pick it up and sit correctly. "Fine." You put the trash in a spare plastic bag and he began to dive again. "Good then." He said as if nothing happened.

Moments later you snapped back, "Wait, what the hell? Dude, Arthur! Did you seriously just yell at me to clean up after you told me the absolute most sweetest thing ever, that you trust me?" He nodded as if it were nothing. "Dude! That's like, SO not cool!" You growled. This made him laugh, "You really sound like him, I can't wait... For some reason I can't wait for us to get there, ironic, huh?"

You nodded slightly, "You talk about this guy a lot, don't you? Who is he to you?" You asked unsure of the outcome. His slight smile came back as he answered, "He's sort of like my only little brother, and he was really special to me... But then we got into a 'little' fight and we didn't talk for a while, but now, it's like he's not even related to me. Like he's independent." Your eyes widened in sadness, "I'm sorry, he was something special then." You spoke up, trying to find the right words in the right order.

He nodded, "but don't be sorry, I think he did himself a favour, I'm not a great brother. And he's happy, so I guess I should be happy too." His smile disappeared. You looked into his eyes, though he didn't look into yours, "Are you happy?" You asked.