40 - One Week Later

The Runaways

Chapter 40

One Week Later

--- October 29, 1699 ---

I woke up every day to see him come downstairs and hand me food. But I played it as if I was clueless.

"Here's today's lunch!" He would say with a smile, I would thank him, then he would leave.

But he hasn't come down yet. And since he comes down only once a day, I might as well see what's down here, otherwise it would have been someone else coming to bring me food and not him.

I walked to the edge of my cage and looked through the bars, everything was pretty dark, but I managed to accustom my eyes to it, so it was fairly visible.

I mostly saw barrels and crates of whatever it is that people put into crates.

Other than that, there really wasn't much down here.

I stretched my arm through the bars to see if I could feel something on the walls or floor that I didn't notice before.

But if I do, and if I am barley noticing it now, then I am going to be pretty angry, I mean I have been down here for a week.

I poked my hand on something but grabbed onto whatever it was. It felt cold and rusty. Maybe a bar. I pulled it towards me to examine it. It was a bar!

I stepped close to the doors in the cage and tried to bend the iron bars with my bar, it worked somewhat... My bar bent.

Luckily though, I tried again and managed to dent the cage bar.

This is so confusing to explain, with all these bars and cages, and now I got a picture of Nic Cage in my head and it's getting intense. But I fit through and managed to get out.

In doing so, I slipped and fell on something. I reached around me on the ground and pulled something soft towards me. It felt crumbly and thick. I held onto as many of those things as I could as I made my way towards the door that leads up. What are these?

The door opened, it startled me but I quickly realised that it was Lucas, coming down to give me my daily food.

I am so hungry.

The light quickly lit up the room but not so well were I was. He walked down the steps and towards my cage.

"Hey poppet, I got your meal!" His cherry voice echoed. He walked close to the cage but quickly saw that I wasn't in there anymore, but he didn't see that I had bent the bar and gone through it.

He quickly pulled out a key in his coat and unlocked the cage door. He stepped inside, a bit confused but as he was about to exit the cage thing, I quickly jumped out and pushed him in, stealing the key with a swift motion.

"Wait- no!" He shouted as I locked the cage and lifted the papers I found earlier, "You framed me, didn't you?" I asked a bit angered.

He didn't say anything at first, but then slowly responded, "I'm sorry."

I took a step back and internally laughed. He's stuck in there as long as he doesn't find the bent bars and leave through them.

"I only did this to protect you." He spoke.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I can't tell you that, but all you had to do was hide in here until the day was through and everyone was finished fighting like kids." He responded.

I pulled my satchel over my shoulder and shook my head, "So what? I can handle a little fight, I mean, I have managed to get this far so watch me." I said.