Chapter 45

*Josh*

I gawked deep into Ella's eyes. I could see her tears of fear begin to form.
My heart raced, it raced because the thought of blaming myself for the way she is now killed me. That laser light right where her heart sat, caused a lump in my throat.
I'm not blaming myself for making her my submissive, I'm blaming myself for bringing her into this world full of guns and drugs, failing to protect her and my family when that was my only intention.

"Josh" her soft, gentle yet painful voice met my ears.

What was I meant to say? Hold on, you're alright. Because that's an absolute fucking lie. A fucking sniper was at her heart and for the first time, I was hopeless.

A shiver travelled down my spine, every short breath she took I counted and watched, thinking it was almost her last.

"Josh" she whispered again.

I stood there, clueless. She probably looked at me like I could help her, like I always found a way or maybe she looked at me like she was saying goodbye.

I turned back around to spot the laser light, though it was from miles away.

Why didn't they aim at me? Am I not the cause of all trouble here? Am I not the one who is currently the richest bachelor in New York everybody wants gone?
They have a free shot, what was running through their mind?

I saw Nicolas stand in the hallway, away from the scene. His eyes told me he didn't want Ella to leave like that, let alone anything to happen to her.

What was I meant to do?

A bullet fired.

I gasped.

The laser light disappeared and a bullet shattered a glass cup behind Ella.

I looked back, the light was completely gone. I frowned.

Nicolas frowned.

I walked up to Ella, wrapped my fingers around her tiny throat and shoved her up against the closest wall.

"You have three seconds to tell me" I groaned, trying to control myself from screaming "Three fucking seconds before I kill you myself" I pulled my gun out of my jacket.

Ella panted and gulped up against the wall.

"Actually" I walked over towards the kitchen and grabbed a hidden gun I had placed under the sink. I walked back to Ella who was still up against the wall and opened the gun mag. I took out all the bullets but left one. In front of it, I spun the mag and aimed right at her head.
"One bullets, I don't know where it sits" I whispered "You have three seconds"

Ella gulped.

"One, two..." I pulled the trigger.

Ella twitched and shut her eyes tight.

But the gun just clicked.

"One, two..."

It clicked again.

"Josh" Nicolas called from the side.

"Who tried to kill my family?!"