Chapter 26 (pt1)

(Y/N) POV

   I was sitting by the fire in our camp. Vladmir woke me up a few hours earlier so that I could get back before anyone was up. I had barely got any sleep, since I was hurting too much. I don't think that my mind had really processed what had happened, and I was afraid that if it did I would just get over it. They say that the first thing that you forget about someone when they die is their voice, and I never want to forget someone's. If I get older and think back, will Brom just be a blur in my mind? Not able to be recognised but I still knew who he was? It was painful to think about. I was brought back to the present when I saw Eragon sitting up. He went and sat in the sunlight without saying a word. Not long after I saw Murtagh coming up and without a word, sitting himself down beside Eragon. "How are you?" he asked. "Very bad." Murtagh waited for a while to say anything again. "Will you recover from it?" Eragon just shrugged his shoulders. It became quiet once again. Murtagh waited a few minutes this time before speaking up. "I know that this is a bad moment to ask, but I need to know... Is your Brom that Brom? The one who helped to steal the dragon egg from the king, tracked down Morzan and defeated him in a duel? I heard you say his name, and I read what you wrote on his grave, but I need to know for sure: Was it him?" "It was", Eragon said in almost a whisper. Murtagh looked troubled about his answer. "How do you know all of this? You talk about secrets that only a few people know about, and you found the ra'zacs just when we needed you. Do you belong to the Varden?" Murtagh's face turned emotionless. He would have probably been happy that Eragon figured it out if he was in the Varden. And even after saving us I still don't trust him. "I am on the run, just like you." His face still didn't hold any emotions, it was like a statue. "I do not belong to the Varden nor the Empire. Nor am I loyal to anyone but myself. And that about rescuing you, I am willing to admit that I had heard whispers about a Rider. I figured that I could get to know if it was true by following the ra'zacs." I saw Eragon furrow his eyebrows. "I thought that you wanted to kill them." Murtagh smiled with no emotion in his eyes. "I want that too, but if I had then we would've never met."
'I don't trust him.' I was surprised to hear Vladmir's voice in my mind, but not really surprised at what he said.

'Me neither, but it seems to be our only option for now.'

'If he tries to hurt either one of you I am very close.'

'I don't know if I should be happy or worried about that.'

'Maybe a little bit of both, maybe not at all. That is for the future to decide.'

'Have you left the ground at all since we got here?'

'Barely.'

'Shouldn't you be hungry by now?'

'A little, yes. But once we leave I'll be either far above you or fly away in the distance so I can hunt then.'

'Whatever you say.' It was now that I realised that Eragon and Murtagh was in the middle of a conversation. "-not Broms?" "Snowfire? Brom promised to take care of him. And now when he's... not here, I will do it for him." "Then what about her?", Murtagh said while nodding towards me. "Is she going to run beside us?" Eragon looked almost hurt by his comment. "No. We can ride on Snowfire together. We shared Cadoc before and we can now share Snowfire." I had bow started to eat myself, since I didn't notice before that they were done with the food. "If that's how you want it, we can surely find a buyer in the next town or city." "We?" Eragon asked. "Well I think that it would be good since you can't make it on your own, even if you have a dragon with you." Eragon looked at me with a questioning look. "Well, I guess that you could come with us then", I answered.

^Hello guys!! Sorry for taking over a week to update! Now when school has started I was thinking about trying to update every weekend. How are you guys? Did you like this part? See you guys next time!!^