Chapter 27

(Y/N) POV

   I felt bad for Eragon. He had to ride with a few broken ribs while me and Murtagh were totally fine. I could hear that he only breathed in short and painful breaths. "You have a beautiful horse. What's his name?" Eragon asked. "Tornac, like the man that taught me how to fight." Murtagh patted his horse on the neck. "I got him when he was only a foal. It would be hard to find a braver or smarter animal in the whole of Alagaësia, except Saphira, of course." "He is magnificent", Eragon said.
'(Y/N).'

'What is it Vladmir?'

'Do you really think it's such a good idea to go to Gil'ead?'

'What makes you questioning this now?'

'I mean that if the ra'zacs could find us that easily in Dras-Leona, shouldn't they now be looking for us in all of the other big cities?'

'Well Eragon and Saphira wants to go to the Varden and therefore they need to find the man that Brom knew.'

'It seems that Eragon has more reasons than that to be drawn to Gil'ead.'

'And what would that be? Everyone that we knew are either still in the Palancar Valley or in Teirm. We have no other reason to go there.'

'I don't know, but I have a feeling that this isn't going to end well.'

'It's probably nothing. Just calm down.'

'I'll try.'

   We continued our journey. We sold Cadoc in a small village which was sad since he was like a memory of Brom and the great time all of us had from when we travelled from north to south. The following days almost seemed to all melt into a blur. We just kept on travelling. I spent most of my time talking to Vladmir. He was still suspicious of Gil'ead for some odd reason. We only got closer and closer to Urû'baen on our way to Gil'ead, and we spent way too long of a time to make our way around it.

   Eragon came back to the campfire from taking away his bandages. "Murtagh, do you think that we could train a little, now when I am strong enough?" Eragon asked. Murtagh only gave him a questioning look. "With sharp swords? We'll kill each other." "Here, give me your sword", Eragon said. Eragon used the spell to protect the sword and then gave it back to Murtagh. "I can take it away when we are done", he said.

   Eragon and Murtagh kept on training every night. While I couldn't do it because we didn't want Murtagh to suspect anything. The only way that I could train with sword was to do it with Vladmir. It became some kind of sparring session between sword and claws and teeth. I soon realised that my fighting style had changed a lit due to me sparring with Vladmir instead. Due to him being both stronger and faster than a normal human I had to get used to it, but I had gotten a lot of scars from his teeth and claws hitting my skin.

   We finally made it to the edge of Gil'ead. I could feel that Vladmir's worry only grew as we got closer. It had taken almost a month to travel here. It was kind of hard to realise how far we have gotten since our journey started. We had started of with dragons barely able to ride on with an old storyteller with us, now he was dead and our dragons could probably carry more than one person.
   We decided to make a camp outside of the city, just in case. While we made the food, Murtagh started to speak. "I don't think that you should be the one to go into Gil'ead Eragon." "Why not? I'm good at disguising", Eragon said. "And Dormnad will probably want to see the gedwëy ignasia that proves that I am a Rider."
"Maybe so", Murtagh said, "but the Empire would rather have you than getting the two of us. If one of us gets captured, we can escape sooner or later. But if you gets captured, they will drag you all the way to the king, where a slow death through torture awaits you - if you don't join him. Gil'ead is also one of the army's most important gathering spots. What we see is not houses: it's barracks. For you to walk in there is the same as turning yourself in to the king on a plate of gold."
'Alright. I was right, this is not a good idea. At all.'