Chapter 38 (pt1)

(Y/N) POV

   "But what do you think that I could accomplish?", Eragon asked while he tried to play off that Ajihad had said the two of us. "That I will explain very carefully", Ajihad said, "but first we have to take care of more important things. The news about the urgals alliance with the Empire is extremely important. If Galbatorix is gathering an army of urgals to destroy the Varden, it will be difficult for us to survive, even if many of us are protected here in Farthen Dûr. It's truly proof of madness when a Rider can even consider a alliance with such monsters, even if you are as evil as Galbatorix. I shiver when I think about what he has promised them in exchange for their loyalty. And then we have the Shade. Could you describe him?" Eragon nodded. "He was tall, thin and very pale with red eyes and red hair. He was completely dressed in black." "His sword then? Did you see it?" Ajihad asked suddenly. "Did it have a long scratch on his blade?" "Yes", Eragon answered with a surprised look on his face. "How did you know that?" "Because I was the one who made it when I tried to cut out his heart out from his body", Ajihad said with a bitter smile. "His name is Durza - one of the most cruel and cunning fiends that has haunted this country. The perfect tool for Galbatorix and a dangerous enemy to us. You say that you slayed him. How did you do it?" Eragon didn't hesitate before he answered. "Murtagh shot him two times. The first arrow hit him in the shoulder: and the other one between the eyes." "I was afraid of that.", Ajihad said as he wrinkled his forehead. "He didn't die. Shades can only die if you hit it through their hearts. All other damages makes them disappear, only to reappear somewhere else as spirits. The process is painful, but Durza will survive and return stronger than ever."
   I had barely heard about a Shade before. I had heard the name but barely knew anything about it, and I don't know if I wanted to know anything more than I already did. And this made me fear for what is about to come.
"The two of you, are riddles, two dilemmas that no one has the answer for. Everybody knows what the Varden wants, likewise the urgals or even what Galbatorix wants, but no one knows what you want. And that makes you dangerous, especially to Galbatorix. He fears you because he doesn't know what your next move is." "Does the Varden fear me?", Eragon asked as if Ajihad didn't say the two of us again. "No", Ajihad said carefully. "We are hopeful. But if the hope shows itself to be deceptive, yes then we fear you too." I saw how Eragon's gaze lowered itself to the floor, and I felt a tug in my stomach at Ajihad's words. "You need to realise how rare your position is. There are groups who wants you to serve their interests and no one else's. Their influence and power began its fight for you the moment you stepped into Farthen Dûr." "Yours too?", I asked him. Ajihad chuckled, but his eyes still held their sharpness. "Mine too. There are some things that you should know: first of all why Saphira's egg showed up in the Spine. Did Brom ever tell you what happened when he  had brought the egg here?" "No", Eragon said with a quick gaze towards Saphira. She only blinked at stretched out her tongue.
   Ajihad knocked on his desk before he began. "So Brom brought the egg to the Varden. He wanted to know it's destiny. We thought that the dragons were extinct. The dwarves wanted to make sure that the future Rider became an allied, but some of them didn't want a new Rider at all. But the elves and the Varden however more personal interests in the matter. The reason was simple: through history the Riders has always been elves and humans, mostly elves. No Rider has ever been a dwarf. Galbatorix's betrayal made the elves more hesitant to let anyone from the Varden to take care of the egg. They feared that the egg would hatch in the hands of a human as unstable. It was a dangerous situation, since both of the sides wanted one of their own as a Rider. The situation only became worse by the dwarves, that didn't loose an opportunity to argue with both the elves and the humans. The situation became more and more intense, and shortly after there was a threat that we would soon come to regret. Then Brom came up with the agreement that would save both of the sides.
   His offer was to move the egg between the Varden and the elves every year. At both of the places you would let children walk by, and then the eggbearers had to wait and see if the egg hatched. If it didn't, then it was time to return to the other group. But if the dragon actually hatched, the Riders training would start immediately. Brom had planned to train them himself the first year. After that the Rider would be moved to the elves, to fulfill their training. The elves reluctantly agreed... only if they would train the Rider on their own if Brom died before the egg hatched. The deal was in their advantage, since everybody knew that the dragon would probably choose an elf, but it gave us a needed piece of equality."
   Ajihad stopped as he stared down onto his desk.
   "They hoped that the new Rider would bring our species closer. We waited for over ten years, but the egg never hatched. We became busy with other things, and rarely thought about the egg other than complain about it not hatching.
   But then we suffered a big loss last year. Arya and the egg disappeared when they were on their way to the elf city Osilon. The elves were the first to know that she was missing. They found her dead horse and guards in Du Weldenvarden and a group of slaughtered urgals nearby. But neither Arya not the egg were found. When I heard the news, I feared that both was captured by the urgals, that would soon find both Farthen Dûr and the elves capital Ellesméra, where the elfqueen Islanzadí lives. Now I realise that they were serving the Empire, which is far worse.
   We can't know exactly what happened until Arya wakes up, but some details from your story may be very important." Ajihad then leaned forward on his desk and but up his elbows.

^Hello guys!! I made you an update!I hope that you liked this chapter! How are you? How do you feel about Christmas now when it's here soon?? See you guys next time!!^