Chapter 34 (pt1)

(Y/N) POV

   I felt complete shock crawl through me. Not soon after I heard Saphira coming to us. She was growling at Murtagh. "Are you his heir?" Eragon asked and reached for his sword. "I didn't choose this!" Murtagh screamed at him. I could see on his face that he was hurt by the way Eragon reacted. He took off his jacket and shirt so his chest was bare. "Look!", he almost pleaded. I felt my stomach dropped as we looked at his back. From his right shoulder to his left hip it ran an uneven white scar. "See?" Murtagh said. He started to speak quickly like he was relieved but also very nervous. "I got it when I was three. In one of his rampages while he was drunk, Morzan threw his sword at me while I was running by. My back was cut by that very sword you're holding in - the only legacy I was counting on, until Brom stole it from my father's dead corpse. I guess I had luck - there was a healer close by that saved me from death. You must realise that I don't love the Empire nor the king. I have no loyalty towards them, and I don't want to hurt you!" Eragon took away his hand from the sword with an unsure look on his face. "Then your father was killed by", he said carefully "by..." "Brom, yes", Murtagh said. He put on his shirt and jacket again. "Come on now, escape with me." While we were continuing Eragon said; "How do I know that you're not lying?" "Why would I lie?" "You could be-" Murtagh was quick to interrupt him. "I can't prove anything to you right now. You'll have to doubt me until we get to the Varden. They'll recognise me soon enough." "I have to know", Eragon said stubbornly, "do you serve the Empire?" Murtagh furrowed his eyebrows. "No. If I did, then what would good would it be to keep on travelling with you? If I wanted to capture you or murder you, I could have left you in that prison." Murtagh stumbled after jumping over a fallen tree. "You could show the way to the Varden for the urgals." "Then why would I still be with you?" Murtagh answered shortly. "Now I know where the Varden is. What reason would I have to turn in myself to them? If I wanted to attack the Varden, I would turn around and join the urgals." "Maybe you're an assassin", Eragon said. "Eragon, you can't judge Murtagh for what his father was like.  You can't choose your parents and you should be accused for their crimes." Everything turned quiet after that.

   We kept on travelling. We stopped the horses by the end of the forest. We were on the rocky beach to the left of the Beartooht River. The Way forward was cut off by the lake Kóstha-mérna that went across the valley. By the other end of the lake we could see the waterfall. "Are we going to the waterfall?" Murtagh asked. "Yes."  Eragon took the lead as we went forward. I could see that the rocks were wet as we walked on them. Saphira had barely any space to move in in the valley, so she had to walk with two legs in the water.
   Once we were halfway to the waterfall Murtagh started to speak. "Urgals!" I saw Eragon turn around in the corner of my eye and I followed his movements on the horse. By the beach of Kóstha-mérna where we had been not too long ago, there were people coming out of the forest. I could feel worry as I saw them. Are we going to make it to the Varden? 

^Hello guys!! Sorry for splitting up these last chapters in more than one part! How have you been? What do you think will happen now? What did you think of this chapter? See you guys next time!!^