Chapter 43 (pt2)

Eragon (POV)

   We went our separate ways outside of the library. Jörmundur went to the barracks, Orik and Arya to the stairs down underground, and me and Saphira along one of Tronjheim's four main streets. Even if it was early the mountain as active as an anthill. People ran around and shouted to one another with their belongings in bundles. I had fought and killed before, but I felt a stab of fear in my heart when I thought about the battle that was about to come. I had never known beforehand when I was about to fight. Now when I did, I was filled with fear. Against single opponents, I felt confident - with Zar'roc and magic I could easily three, four urgals. But anything could happen in a big battle.

   (Y/N) met us while we were eating. She grabbed me hard by the shoulders, which almost caused me to choke on my food. She smiled at me as she stood there. "I was just wondering where the two if you were! I'll see you later, before the battle." She turned around and walked away. Orik asked us to wait when we were done and then he disappeared among the people in the battalion. He returned with a group of dwarves behind him that was carrying big piles of pieces to armors. Orik took one of the pieces and gave it to me. "What is this?" I asked as I fiddled with the polished metal. It was a beautiful piece of work, complete with engravings and gold filigree. At some places, it was really thick and really heavy. No person could walk into battle with that weighting them down. And there were way too many plates for a single person.  "A gift from Hrothgar", Orik said and seemed very pleased with himself. "It has been laying with the rest of our treasures for so long that it had almost been forgotten. It was made in a different age, before the fall of the Riders." "But what is it for?" I asked. "It's a dragon armor of course! You don't think that dragons went into battle unprotected, do you? Whole sets are rare since they took so long to make and they never stopped growing. But Saphira isn't too big yet, so this should fit her somewhat good."
A dragon armor! I asked what Saphira thought of it while she was smelling one of the pieces: 'What do you think?'
'Let's see if it fits', she said with a wild look in her eyes.
   With a lot of effort, Orik and I took a step back to admire the results. All of Saphira's neck was covered in triangular scale plates except for the thorns. The stomach and the plates were covered in the heaviest plates, while the lightest ones covered the tail. The back and legs were completely covered. The wings were bare. On the head, there was only one plate that left the lower jaw free to bite. Saphira lifted her neck, and the armor followed her movements smoothly.
'It slows me down, but protects me against arrows. How do I look?'

'Very threatening', I answered truthfully. She became very pleased. Orik picked up the objects that were still on the ground. "I brought an armor for you too, even if I had to look for a long time to find anything in your size. We rarely make weapons for humans or elves. I don't know who this was made for, but it has never been used before and should be very useful for you."
   I got a rigid and leather lined chain mail over my head that reached down to my knees. It was heavy on my shoulders and rattled when I moved. I put in Zar'roc over it, which helped to keep it in place. On my head, I first got a leather skullcap, then an aventail and last a helmet in silver and gold. Straps were secured on both my arms and legs. Lastly, Orik held out a broad shield that was embellished with an oak. It was not difficult to understand that what we have gotten is worth more than multiple fortunes, so I bowed and said: "I have to thank you for these gifts. We put a high value on Hrothgar's gifts." "Don't thank us now", he chuckled. "Wait until the armor saves your life."

^Hello guys!! I'm sorry for not updating once a week for a while, but school has become very busy now when summer break is almost here. What have you guys been up to? How are you? What do you think of this chapter and the story? See you guys next time!!^