Chapter 7 - The Rain

It's July. There were only a few visitors in the resort during this season as expected. There were only about twenty, including Rhian and Glaiza in the Clubhouse Restaurant. Some visitors might have requested for a room service while others might have dinner later.

Parehong hindi kumakain ng rice sa hapunan sina Rhian at Glaiza. Rhian ordered Cobb salad, bun and butter while Glaiza ordered tacos. Glaiza thought of her family while eating. "Kapag nakaipon ako, isasama ko sina tatay at nanay dito", wika niya sa sarili.

"You've been quiet. A penny for your thought?", Rhian querried

"I'm just thinking of my family, specially my tatay and my nanay"

"You're closed to both of them, right?"

"True. Specially to my tatay".

"Pareho pala tayo. I used to be closer to my dad than to my mom. Pero buhat ng mag-aral na ako sa US, doon ko na-realize na iba pa rin mag-alaga ang nanay. I am now closer to my mom because I can tell her basically everything".

When Rhian mentioned about her US education, Glaiza asked curiously, "What's the difference between the curriculum in the US and the curriculum in the Philippines specially in engineering courses".

"Well, I think it's almost similar. In MIT, we have to pass GIRs or General Institute Requirements. This is equivalent to your two years preparatory in engineering. The only difference, I think, is the way on how to get a professional license", Rhian explained.

"In what way they are different?"

"In the Philippines, you have to pass the licensure examination given by Professional Regulations Commission, while in the US, we have to defend our research infront of college deans and professors".

"Oh really?"

"Yes, and you'll be lucky if they invite a Nobel Prize awardee for a panelist. Sometimes, they invite a well-known professional", Rhian continued.

"How about in your term? Who were the panelists that time?" Glaiza asked.

"It was two levels of defense. The dean of engineering was there and my professors with doctorate degree. And you know what? The dean that time was a female!"

"Really? A dean in College of Engineering in MIT was a female?" Glaiza was amazed

"Yes! But I think she's a lesbian".

"How did you know that, hahaha!"

"Because I passed the defense, hahaha! Idinaan ko sa ganda!"

Sabay silang nagtawanan

"But seriously, I always wanted to be on top..." wika ni Rhian....

Tumingin si Glaiza

".... on top of my class... on top of my career", patuloy ni Rhian

"Salbahe ka Glaiza. Malisyosa ka! Tumigil ka!" Saway niya sa sarili habang nangingiti.

Buti na lang at hindi nakahalata si Rhian.

"Let's go! Samahan mo akong mag-swimming. May swimming pool sa malapit na villa".

"Tig-isa lang tayo ng shorts. Kapag nabasa, wala na tayong isusuot".

"Who told you that we will wear shorts? C'mon! Join me!".

Hinila ni Rhian sa kamay si Glaiza. Bagama't awkward ay hindi na nakuhang bawiin ito ng huli kaya lumakad sila papunta sa pool ng magkahawak kamay.

-----------

Nakahinga ng maluwag si Glaiza nang pumayag si Rhian na sasamahan na lang niya ito sa tabi ng swimming pool. Idinahilan niya na wala siyang extra brassier, at kung babasain pa niya ito ay wala siyang isusuot pag-uwi nila kinabukasan.