ch. 20 suspect

Mark stays silent. My eyes widen slightly as I look at him, "You cannot believe what he's saying, Mark" I tell him. "I'm not agreeing with him!" Mark puts his hands up slightly in defence. "Well you aren't disagreeing either!" I tell him before looking back at Dark who has a creepy, amused smirk on his lips. "You also must know why Anti thinks these tradegies are on Jack...?" Mark asks. He must have thought before that maybe Jack did all this.

Dark gives Mark a nod, "Anti is around Jack everyday. Jack sometimes can't help but whine about how your kindom is bigger than his...and that is not a euphemism"  A guard somewere in the room starts snickering softly, getting all our attention. He clears his throat and stands back in position. Mark sighs softly before Dark continues. "Jack also likes to talk about what he would do if his kingdom was as big as yours. His own added" Dark watches our facial expressions, wanting to find our wether we buy it or not. He doesn't seem to really know yet, so he continues, "Of course I don't expect you to believe me nor Anti. You see Jack as your friend. You would never believe your ' friend' would do this" Dark tilts his head slightly, looking at Mark, "But you asked what I know. This is what I know...think, at least" Dark explains.

Mark nods, "Thank you, Dark, I appreciate your honesty...you can leave" He commands. Dark bows his head, "As you wish" he says before turning around and walking out of the throne room. I look at Mark after he sighs and lowers himself in his seat. I gently lay my hand on his which is on the armrest. "Do you believe Dark?" He asks, staring at the doors. I stay quiet for a moment, "I'm not sure, Mark..." I answer, "maybe you should visit him and talk about it...?" I ask.

Mark nods, "seems like the best option now"  He tells me before looking at me with a fake smile. I kiss his hand, "Don't worry, Mark. We're going to-" a guard cuts me off by running into the throne room, yelling, "My king! There are angry villagers in front of the castle gate! They want to inform you that-" Mark stands up and holds up his hand, commanding him to shut up. Mark walks out of the room. I can't help but follow him outside.

Outside people are yelling. They sound angry, but they all stop the moment I step outside. Of course they haven't seen me pregnant before. Then, they start cheering, and I can't help but smile at forget about what's going on for a moment. I wave at eveyone as I walk towards the gates with Mark.

"You look beautiful!" I hear some people say. I smile brightly, "Thank you!" I say, "But that's not what you're here for, right?" I ask, getting back to the case. Mark smiles thankfully at me, "Exactly" he says, "What's going on?" He asks politely. "We blame king Jack!" One starts to yell before the whole group yells things like, "Yeah!" and "Jack did it!" --  "War!" Mark immediately holds his hands up, "people, quiet, please!" He commands as everyone goes quiet again. "Please tell me why you think king Jack did it?" Mark asks, trying to keep everyone calm.

"We saw him yesterday night!" A man says. Mark looks at him, "Are you sure, sir?" He asks, not wanting to believe it. The man nods, "Me and my wife were about to head to bed, but we saw two people walk by the houses. In the moonlight we saw two dark-haired men..." He explains. Mark sighs in defeat, "Jack has green hair, remember?" Mark explains.  I gently take Mark's arm, "Remember him telling you he was going to die his hair back to normal like you?" I remind him. People mumble in agreement. Mark nods, "You're right..." He says to the people, "I was planning on visiting king Jack today to talk...Dark already told me he was suspecting king Jack too" Mark explains.  "Please, everyone, know that I'm busy with this 24/7...I'm doing my best, alright?" Mark asks them politely. "Of course, my king...we'd love to help" Another man tells Mark, and the rest starts agreeing. Mark smiles, "I appreciate it...if anyone has any other clue or maybe an idea about the case, don't be afraid to visit me in the castle" He explains before people smile satisfied at him and walk back to the village.