[11] The last straw

I opened my eyes. I tried as best as I could through blurry vision to make out the surroundings.

I discovered that I was lying on the floor, and there was blood coming from my head and left arm.

I suddenly remembered what had happened...

Ben had pushed me off the stairs. I remembered seeing him before I went unconscious. So where was he now?

Had Ben left me all alone to die?

Was that his motive?

Ignoring the pain from my side and head, I tried getting up. I winced in pain but that didn't stop me. I tried maintaining my balance when I made it to my feet. I turned around, looking for my phone. I had to do something, I couldn't stay here so that Ben could finish off what he started. I had to leave this place, it always hasn't been safe for me to live here but now things have taken a huge step. A leap.

I now know that Ben is planning to kill me. Who would push someone off the stairs if not to try and end their life or cause serious injury to them?

I continued scanning my eyes around the place but I couldn't find my phone anywhere. I wanted to cry, what if Ben took my phone?

Limping around the place, I tried searching for it. It wasn't in my bag, nor in the pockets of my jeans.

My body was in pain, the crucial fact extending to a point where I couldn't walk anymore. I could feel my body slowly becoming weak and simultaneously welcoming me into the stage where I'd become vincible. I was becoming weaker and weaker with each breath that I took. With each step that I constrained. The longer my eyes stayed open, the more they wanted to shut.

I was hopelessly in pain, physically, mentally and emotionally.

I caught something at the corner of my eyes. It was black and flat, under the couch. It looked so much like my phone.

The closer I got to it, the more I wanted to rejoice. Maybe everything wasn't so hopeless anymore.

But who would I call? Would I call Hanna? Probably not, I didn't want to disturb her family time. She had a daughter to worry about and to take care of, not me. Maybe I would call Kate or Leah.

I finally got ahold of my phone. I swear I had put more effort on my body that I probably should with all this moving around. I was still bleeding. I went to sit on the couch and try to regain all my strength.

This was it, I was going to tell Kate and Leah about everything. Ben tried to kill me anyway.

I pressed the unlock button...but no unlocking happened. I pressed again and again, but nothing.

My phone's was battery died. I just wanted to cry...

I forced my body off the couch to go and charge my phone. Why was I having so much bad luck in literally everything?

As I was limping around, clutching my side which hurt so bad, I think I missed the single step that was on the entrance of the sitting room.

I was forced into a hard fall, I felt my body go numb but my head endured an excruciating pain. I didn't want to accept it, but I knew that this was it. As much as I forced my eyes to open, as much as I forced mysef to stay alive...it was over.

I was then welcomed into darkness...and I swear I saw my mum's face before everything blacked out completely.

******