[70] Recovery

My chest felt tightened as I tried as best as I could to calm myself down and think positively. I needed to stay positive for Amara but it was getting harder by each passing second... becoming almost impossible, especially since they are taking too damn long in there.

I felt distressed as I sat powerlessly on the couches outside Amara's ward, waiting for the doctors to get out of there... either to tell me she's fine or... god what am I doing? She'll be okay. Amara will be fine. She has to be.

I tug at my hair just like I've been doing for the past thirty minutes.

I am so worried about her, incredibly. She doesn't deserve to be going through all of this. If it wasn't for me, she wouldn't be in this mess. She wouldn't be in this life and death situation but I had to come along, bringing a psycho ex with me. She just got caught up in the cross-fire of Bianca and I's complicated past.

I think about calling Leah or Kate but it's late and I don't want to disturb them, given it's a school night and all. They care about Amara and I'm sure they'll be here tomorrow after school.

As I stood, I recognised the nurse from before and Dr Ferguson coming out of Amara's hospital room.

He told her something and she nodded before rushing down the corridor. I pushed thoughts of punching him in the face to the back of my head as I walked towards him, wanting to know if Amara is okay.

I hope she is.

He turns towards me the moment he notices me walking towards him.

"Mr Hazard, you're still here?" He says calmly and I almost roll my eyes, getting more annoyed by him.

"How is Amara?" I ask.

"She is... well you'd be happy to know that she's awake."

"What?" I ask incredulously and he nods, some of his curly hair falling to his forehead before he pushed it back.

"Her body is beginning to function well on its own, the small damage to her liver is repairing and her condition is really promising. If she continues with this speedy recovery, she might be discharged in a week."

I released a breath I didn't know I was holding. My baby was not in danger anymore. In fact, she's fucking awake.

"Wow, I need to see her." I tell him and he nods.

I push past him, not meaning to be rude but not bothering to say sorry either, and head into Amara's ward.

The girl I see in the bed looks much more alive than how she was when I left here like forty minutes ago. I can't believe she's up. I really thought I was going to lose her.

Her eyes turns to me and they widen. A horrified expression takes over her face. I feel my heart being ripped out of my chest as I stare back at her. I'm frozen, not knowing what to do. Why is she looking at me like that? Oh god she hates me.

She looks away for a second as if to process everything and when her eyes meet mine again, she smiles.

Something lifts off my chest and I smile back at her before I even know it.

She raises her arm and motions for me to come to her, which I do. Gladly.

I can't help but stare into the purest eyes I've longed to look into these past few days. I've missed her so much that I can't believe she's awake. I'm still under the impression that this might be a fucking dream. Pain and happiness, contradictory emotions surge in me as I look at the love of my life. I'm literally nothing without her, nothing but a danger to myself.