Chapter 4: Dorks and kisses

Part 1: Jab Koi Baath Bigad Jaaye (When something goes wrong).

Chapter 4: Dorks and Kisses.

Akshara

'I don't want to know anything Karthik! I told you to keep him away from me and you didn't. So the brownies are going into my stomach.' I said, sternly. Karthik glared at me and stormed off, his shoulders hunched.

Whatever. He'll come around later and beg for the brownies again. That boy cannot live without his weekly intake of my mum's handmade brownies.

I stood on my tiptoes and was looking around to find Vismaara, when suddenly a hand covered my mouth and pulled me backwards. I was about to scream for help, my mind flashing back to all those scary videos I saw on Instagram at 2am in the night, when I saw greyish black eyes staring at me.

Akshay.

'I missed you.' he whispered, as he put his arms around me and bent down to plant a kiss on my forehead. I raised myself up on my toes to kiss him slightly. I hugged him tightly, enjoying the way we both fit in with each other. He was my Akshay, and I was his Akshara.

'I missed you too. How was your stupid camp?' I asked, my words muffled against his warm sweater. 'Hey, it was not stupid. I loved it!' He said, and I could sense the happiness in his voice.

'They taught us coding, and animation and computer graphics! I even made a video about us. I'll show you later! I enjoyed it so much Akshy!'

'I'm glad you did and I'm glad you're back too. Now, let me go. I have to go home! There's a FRIENDS marathon starting at 6 and I need to be there!' I said, pulling back.

'Tussi jaa rahe ho? Tussi Na jaao. (You're going? Don't go.)' He said, quoting that iconic Bollywood dialogue. I smiled and shook my head at his Bollywood craziness.

'I have to go Akshay. Mumma is gonna be very mad if I'm late today too.'

'Arey, you worry too much. I'll drop you na baba!' he said, smiling. I began to protest but he silenced me with his finger on my lips. 'Anyway, it's been many days since I saw aunty! I'll get to meet her too!' Akshay said, holding out his hand.

Sighing, I took his hand and he twirled me around, waltzing a little as I giggled. God, he was perfect.

'Let's go then?'

'Let's go.'

*****

'Aunty Ji! Aunty Ji! Get up and dance!' Akshay called out as we both walked into the kitchen.

'Akshay!' My mom called out in happiness as Akshay walked up to her. 'I missed your brownies the most while I was at camp !' he said, smiling at her.

She shook her head. 'Of course you did.' she said.

'Ma, I'll take Akshay up. Fill him in on the notes, tests and revisions that he's missed out on. And we'll come down for dinner. Won't we?' I asked, and Akshay grinned at me. 'Of course we will! I'll just die if I don't eat your handmade food aunty! Uff!' Akshay pretended to faint and I cringed.

My mother let out a laugh. 'Okay, okay dramebaaz! I'll make your favorite chole bhature! So you won't die!' she said, grinning.

'That's why you're my favorite, aunty!' he said, as he followed me up to my room.

Let me give you some deets on Akshay.

Akshay and I had grown up side by side. He had been my neighbour ever since I could remember. We had been best friends for a long time, and now we were going out. It wasn't like we had feelings for each other or something. We just figured that we were comfortable around each other and going out together just made sense.