Chapter 41: The United States of Raghav

Part 5: kaano mein ik dil ki baath sunava ni, tenu hasda vekh ke jagnu mein bhuljaava ni. (let me  whisper a secret in your ears, when I see you laugh? I forget the world.) 

Chapter 41: The United States of Raghav 

Akshara

"Ladies and Gentlemen please do buckle up your seats. We will be landing momentarily." The captain's voice resounded around the plane as we neared the landing. I looked at Kiara to see how she was taking this news. As expected, her face had gone pale white. Her arm was on the arm rest, and I could make out that she was trembling. Pity welled up in my heart, so I grabbed her hand, and smiled at her. She gave me a frosty glare, before squeezing my hand tightly. 

"Hey Kiara?" I whispered, wondering why on earth I was whispering. She nodded, showing me that she was listening. "You wanted to know why I broke up with him right?" I couldn't believe that I was telling her this. Her of all people. 

I had to make a split second decision. Either I lie, and tell her some crappy excuse. Chances of distracting her with that? 45%. Or I tell her the truth, and let her look at me as if I had lost my mind and then proceed to tell me that I was stupid, and that I should continue dating the love of my life. Chances of distracting her with that? 90%. So being the logical moron that I was, I chose to go with the truth. 

She was looking at me with curious eyes. "You know how he's about to sign a record deal with Yulu records right?" I asked. She nodded. "Well, the deal, for him to land that contract is that he should have no distractions at all." I continued. She nodded again. "He's been writing lyrics all this time, but never made music, or recorded songs to show as his portfolio to the CEO of Yulu records." I hinted, hoping she'd understand. Of course, being the dense creature that she was, she just nodded. 

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?" She demanded, when I rolled my eyes at her. I gave her a meaningful glare again. She looked at me, confused for a moment, when finally her eyes widened and her mouth was in an 'O' shape. "Yep. There it is." I said, and I suddenly remembered that Chandler said the same line to Joey in episode 23 of season 4 of FRIENDS!!! I'm such a fangirl! 

"You think you're the distraction?!" Kiara demanded, her eyes blazing. "How stupid are you?!" she demanded again, when I didn't respond. I felt a swooping sensation in my stomach, and quickly pulled my hand out of hers. "Pretend like this conversation never happened okay?" I glared at her, and she shook her head. "Akshara! You're being extremely unreasonable! You're not the distraction! Besides-!" I cut off her lecture by standing up and rushing towards the washroom. 

Once inside, I wiped away some beads of sweat from my forehead. I knew what she'd been about to say. She'd say something like I shouldn't let this affect any of my moments with him...and that I should get back together with him. That I wasn't the distraction. Honestly? I knew that. I knew that I wasn't the distraction. I had just used that as an easy way out. 

What the real distraction was, you wonder? It was our dreams. Our ambitions. Our pressure and stress to be something, to achieve something. We were bound to separate sooner or later, cause come on! Do you really think Raghav and I could pull off a long-distance relationship? He'd sign his record deal, he'd go on tours, he'd meet people. I couldn't ask him to give up any of that for me. I was selfish, but I wasn't that selfish.