Chapter 30: Prom Night (III)

Part 3: Kacchi hawa, kaccha dhua, ghul raha. Kaccha sa dil, lamhein naye chun raha. (Raw breeze and raw smoke dissolve in each other. The raw, young inexperienced hearts choose new experiences.) 

Chapter 30 : Prom Night (III)

Akshara

"This place looks magical tonight." I said, and Shaurya nodded. We were in the gymnasium, where the prom was being hosted. The decoration committee had really outdone themselves this time. A large shimmering disco ball was hung up in the middle of the dance floor, illuminating the gymnasium in hues of purple, blue, pink and red. I have always been a sucker for details. Like for example, I loved how beautiful the juice area looked. There were streamers hung over, with a fruit hanging over them at one point right above the juice vending machines, each a respective fruit indicating the respective juice.

"Do you want to dance?" Shaurya asked, holding out his arm. I nodded, excited and took it, placing my hand on his shoulder and my other hand holding my gown. He put his arm on my waist, but not before seeking permission. He guided me along, swaying slowly in accordance with the music and making me laugh at his corny jokes. I was enjoying myself. I sure as hell didn't regret coming to prom. 

After dancing for almost half an hour, I excused myself and went towards the juice machines. I waited, as the person in front of me filled up their cup. When it was my turn however, someone grabbed my hand and pulled me backwards, into a dimly lit corridor. I was about to scream, when I saw familiar brown eyes looking at me. Raghav. 

My body picked up on the familiarity easily, and I felt my heart beat speeding up. My cheeks were beginning to flush, I could feel them heating up. Or maybe, it was the heat from all the dancing. Yeah right pssh. 

"Raghav? What are you doing?" I asked, slightly breathless. 

"The question Akshara, is what are you doing?" He snapped, his eyes sparkling with annoyance. I was confused. What did I do to trigger his irritation? "I'm enjoying myself. At prom. Or am I simply not allowed to do that anymore?" I asked, feeling my own blood boil slightly. Raghav snorted, in a mean way. 

"Enjoying? You mean you are leading him on? Waiting to break his heart, are you?"

His eyes were sparkling dangerously now. His grip on my hand hadn't loosened and I shook myself free. "What do you mean?!"

"I mean, are you simply with him to make me jealous? Is that the game you're playing Akshara?" He asked, every word coming out with a sneer. "Make you jealous?! Why would I even do that?" I asked, bewildered. He looked thrown off for a minute, and then his mouth curled into a mean smile. "Because, you know I wouldn't notice any other way! You've avoided me like the plague all these days, and that definitely didn't work did it?" He was looking very proud of himself. "What the hell are you spewing out from your mouth? Do you even realize how stupid those words are? Or has your brain lost it's hold on your tongue?!" I demanded, shaking my head. 

"Don't tempt me to do something I'll regret later on Akshara. Just answer my question! Are you doing this to make me jealous?" He prodded, his eyes darkening. "Raghav, I do NOT know what kind of delusional, creepy thoughts are swarming your head right now, but let me make this clear: EVERYTHING THAT I DO DOES NOT HAVE TO BE ABOUT YOU ALL THE TIME." I stated, my voice growing louder on the last words. Raghav laughed humorlessly. "Please Akshara, you haven't got me fooled. I know well and good that you're here with him to make me jealous. Just admit it! Don't be a pathetic saint." He spat, his eyes roaming all over my face.