Chapter 4: Keeping Secrets

Justin's P.O.V.

My mom pulled up to the school. Her hair was in a side ponytail. She was wearing a dark burgundy dress. "You look nice mom," I complimented which made her smile.

"Thanks sweetie. I have an interview today," she admitted excitedly. I smiled. She was trying so hard. She then looked over at me and noticed what I was wearing.

"Why are you so dressed up?," she asked with curiosity. Looking down at what I was wearing, I was in a nice black button up shirt, grey jeans, and black high tops.

"It's a school spirit day. We're supposed to look nice," I lied. She nodded then leaned over and kissed me on the cheek.

"Love you mom," I said as she took her lips off my cheek.

Opening the car door, I said, "Good luck at your interview."

"Oh wait, Justin! That reminds me, my interview is at the time you get out of school. Can you walk home?," my mom asked. 'Perfect,' I thought.

"Yeah, of course," I said while getting out of the car. My mom smiled.

"I'll see you when I get home," my mom said. Nodding, I then shut the door. My mom quickly sped off. I hated lying to my mom, but I knew I had to. Looking forward, I saw Selena waiting for me at the front of the school. She had a smile on her face. But it wasn't the normal Selena smile. Was something wrong?

"Justin you look so nice," Selena complimented in a sweet tone as I walked up to her.

"Thanks babe, you look beautiful," I said. Then I realized that she didn't call me babe. She didn't always have to call me babe all the time, but she usually did. She still had that fake smile on her face.

Selena blushed a little. Leaning in to kiss her, Selena's eyes then widened. She quickly moved her face then brought me in for a tight hug. Awkwardly, I hugged her. Something was wrong. Quickly, I let go of her. I looked at her with a confused facial expression.

Selena's P.O.V.

I softly bit down on my bottom lip. The way Justin was looking at me right now. He knew there was something wrong. Quickly I put a fake smile on my face.

"Babe you sure nothing's wrong?," he asked. I quit biting on my bottom lip. Justin knew that I bit on my bottom lip when I was nervous. Nodding, I kept my fake smile.

Feeling bad, I knew I wanted to date Justin, but I hated keeping this from my parents. Right now, I just need to keep a little distance from Justin. It would be for the best until I felt more comfortable going against my parents.

Justin reached for my hand. Immediately, I wrapped my hand around my binder. He now looked at me more confused. Almost biting my lip, I avoided it. Just staring at Justin with a blank face, he looked down.

"Is there something wrong with my hand?," he asked jokingly while looking back up at me.

"No, no," I said while shaking my head, "Just sweaty palms," I lie. My life was now being filled with lies. Avoiding Justin's eyes, I looked down at the floor.

"Still want me to walk you to class?," he asked. Looking away from the floor, I look back at him. The bell rang. Justin and I began walking to my class. It felt weird and awkward having my hand wraped around my binder, instead of in Justin's hand. I felt like grabbing his hand, but I knew I had to keep things distant; for now.

We stopped near the doorway of the classroom. Justin began to lean in to kiss my cheek. Quickly, I move my head back. "Bye Justin," I said shortly.

Justin moved back and nodded with disappointment. He then looked at the ground then back up at me. "See you later Sel," he said sadly. Justin solemnly walked off. Letting out a small sigh, I quickly walk into class.