Chapter 6: The Secret's Out

Justin's P.O.V.

Walking into a local diner, a bell rang as I walked in. The sound of the bell was so airy. The diner smelled like fresh french fries. Walking with confidence, I walked up to the register. The girl working the register smacked her gum. She looked beyond bored.

"I'm looking for Mel, is she here?," I asked with curiosity. She rolled her eyes then continued to smack her gum. She held up her left index finger, indicating I had to wait for a minute. I nodded. She brought her finger down then walked to the back of the diner.

Looking around the diner, it was so old fashioned. Black and white checkered floors. Booth seats that were red leather. This place was great. The girl came back to the register.

The bump-it in her hair went perfectly with theme. Her short shorts were red with a short white apron over and a red shirt. She had a red bow on the side of her bump-it. She continued to smack her gum, then she blew a bubble. The bubble popped then she brought her gum back into her mouth.

"She's in the back," she said while smacking her gum in between each word. Nodding, I walked past the register and headed to the back. I became a little nervous. This was my first interview, well to be more specific job interview. Right now, I just needed this job more than ever.

If I got this job, I could give this money to my mom to help her out right now. Nervously, I walked to the back room. She looked at me and signaled for me to sit down in the chair across from her. Closing the door behind me, I then sat down.

* * * * * *

Happily, I shook hands with Mel. I couldn't believe that I just got this job. She let go of my hand, I waited for her to tell me what day I started working. She bent down and opened a drawer. The drawer closed and she stood back up. My eyes immediately went to what she was holding.

"Your uniform," she said while putting her hand out with the uniform in it. Taking the uniform from her, I examined it. Khakis, a red shirt, and the type of hat that ice cream workers wore from the 50's; with red stripes.

"So when do I start?," I asked eagerly. Mel laughed under her breathe. She sat back down in her chair and looked at me. 

"Kid, you start today now go get in your uniform. That's why I gave it to you," Mel said. Nodding with a smile, I figured I was going to start now. Instead of tomorrow.

"Wait, where do I get changed?," I asked. Mel rolled her eyes.

"In the bathroom. Where else?," Mel asked with attitude. Nodding, I then left Mel's office. Walking to the employee's bathroom, I closed the door behind me. Taking off my shirt, I put it on the counter then put my uniform on.

I was beyond happy that I got this job. The job didn't pay as much as I would like. But it was just a start; and it paid pretty decent for a first job. Plus I needed the money so I could give it to my mom. She really needed the money right now. Putting my khakis on, I then put the icream shop style hat on.

Fixing my hair in the mirror, I looked like a dork. 'Oh well, only for you mom. Only for you,' I thought. Picking up my clothes, I left the bathroom. I went back into Mel's office.

"Uhm where can I leave my clothes?," I asked. Mel pointed to another corner of her office. Looking in the direction she was pointing in, there were a few tiny lockers. I walked over to the small lockers. After locking my stuff up, I walked back over to Mel's desk. She just stared at me with a blank face.

"Well you go start working, Ruby will train you," Mel said. Nodding my head, I left Mel's office with confusion. Who was Ruby? Guess I would have to figure it out on my own. Walking back over to the register, I saw a girl dining tables.