Chapter 22: I Didn't Sign Up For This

Justin's P.O.V.

Dragging the eraser across the words, I expunged the last few words. Taking my left hand off the margin of the page, I rewrote the line. Somehow ever since I got out of the booth, I haven't put the pencil down. Literally, I only slept for 3 hours last night.

There were so many melodies and lyrics going through my head. I just needed to get them all out on paper. Flipping through the pages, I had written 3 songs today. With the help of some people Scooter had brought in today. Right now Scooter and my mom were off somewhere, and they dropped me off at the studio.

Scooter said that I needed to be alone here for awhile, just to see if music comes to me. Honestly, I didn't mind being here alone. The studio already felt like home, and I had almost been here a day. Clicking the home button of my phone, I stared at the lock screen.

Selena looked gorgeous. Having a wide open smile. Eyes closed, and her cheek bones looked amazing. She was just stunning. Smiling, I missed her so much. She had helped me do this, I would love her forever. As long as she loved me, I would be fine.

My eyes ignited, and a smile filled my face. Flipping the page of my notebook, I began to think. Thinking back to how I felt when my mom and I moved into her car, I thought of how Selena was there for me.

Etching the song lyrics on to the paper, I read over them. Off to the side of them, I put down ideas for guitar chords. Along with some doodles I had done of Selena's name.

Placing my pencil down at the top of the page, I had made chorus. Singing softly to myself, I tried to come up with rhythm. Then it hit me, this would be perfect. Taking a deep breathe, I got ready to sing.

"As long as you love me, we could be starving, we could be homeless, we could be broke. As long as you love me, I'll be your platinum, I'll be your silver, I'll be your gold. As long as you...."

The sound of a door opening cut me off. Turning around, I saw my mom and Scooter in the doorway. 'Guess they choose the right time to come in,' I thought. Scooter and my mom both smiled. Scooter came over to me and looked over my shoulder at the notebook. All I could do was hope that he liked it.

"You want me to sing it in the booth?," I asked. Scooter and my mom both nodded. Getting in the booth, I strapped the headphones on and held my thumb up. Scooter pressed a button, as I brought my thumb down. Waiting for a few seconds, I then began singing.

Hitting every note in the right places, I just felt alive in the studio. This is where I needed to be. Coming to the last part, I sang, "As long as you love me." Ringing out the 'love' with an awkward note, I shook my head.

"Justin that sounded great. But we need to do something about that 'love' after you sing about being gold," Scooter said. Nodding in agreement, I began to think. What could I do with that 'love'?

"Record this," I said. Scooter nodded then pressed a button. 

"As long as you lo-lo-lo-lo-lo-love me, love me," I sang. Putting my head down, that sounded awful. The 'lo's' needed something. Just sounding alike sounded awkward and too repetitive. Perking back up, I looked at Scooter. He had some ideas running through his head. Hopefully, he would help me out.

"Justin what about a pitch change in the 'lo's'. Like as long as you lo-lo-lo-lo-lo-lo-love me," he said. To be honest, Scooter can't sing. But I could see the pitch changes he was talking about. It would be hard to bring my voice up that high, but it was worth trying. Signaling for him to record, Scooter pressed the button.

"As long as you lo-lo-lo-lo-lo-loe- Uh!," I grunted. Trying again, I couldn't reach the falsetto note. Trying again, a few more times, I couldn't do it. Looking at my mom and Scooter, they were talking. Scooter looked back at me.