Chapter 7: Sassy

Selena's P.O.V.

Unbuckling my seat belt, I bolted out of the car and rushed into the house. Throwing my stuff onto the couch, I patiently waited for my mom to come into the house. The doorknob rotated and the door opened. My mom made her way through the doorway then closed the door behind her.

She looked at me and rolled her eyes. She knew I had something to say. Quickly, she ran into the kitchen to avoid me. 'Oh and you're the one always telling me to never run away from my problems,' I thought. I stormed off into the kitchen.

"What do you want now Selena?," my mom asked while beginning to prepare for dinner. Rolling my eyes with annoyance, I wished she would just listen to me with her undivided attention. More importantly she could be nice about it.

"Well you look a little sad. So I'm guessing you didn't take the break up very well," my mom said. Rolling my eyes with annoyance, I couldn't believe her. Did she seriously expect me to break up with Justin? Obviously she didn't know me.

"Mom we didn't break up. That's what I came to tell you about. I'm not breaking up with Justin. You can't make me, so I'm not going to," I argued. My mom raised her eyebrows. Swallowing, I waited for her response.

"Selena he's a trouble-maker and I don't want you around that," my mom argued. She thought Justin was a trouble-maker? Well if he was then Justin would redefine trouble-maker. Rolling my eyes again, I could tell my mom was getting annoyed with me. But if anyone had the right to be annoyed right now; it was me.

 "He's not a trouble-maker! I'm tired of you saying I can't date him. You can't stop me. We both love each other. And all the facts that you are giving me are irrelevant. So you can't! You just can't," I explained angrily. She began to nod, and she looked confused. But it didn't matter if she looked convinced, she needed to be convinced.

"Selena I'm sorry," my mom apologized. She then dropped the knife and came over to me. She held me tightly. Her hug was apologizing for everything that she had said about Justin. Of course I would forgive her, I just didn't understand why she wanted me to break up with Justin so bad. She let go of me, and I smiled at her.

"I shouldn't have put all that pressure on you. It's just. Never mind, it doesn't matter. Just promise me that you'll stay out of trouble," my mom said. Nodding with a smile, I just stared happily at my mom. I was just so happy my mom said I could continue to date Justin. My mom went back over to the counter and continued cutting vegetables.

"By the way I like sassy Selena," my mom laughed. Rolling my eyes, I left the kitchen and went up the stairs. Pulling my phone out, I checked the time. Justin was probably done with whatever he was doing by now, right? Rushing into my room, I texted Justin.

Me: Hey babe :)

Justin: Sorry my thing isn't over yet. I'll text you when my thing is over.

Me: Okay :(

Justin: Sorry babe

Shoving my phone back in my pocket, I stared at my door. Where could Justin be? But more importantly what was his thing?

Justin's P.O.V.

After my shift ended, I quickly changed and left the diner. Standing outside the front entrance, I pulled my phone out. Looking around, I realized I didn't know where to meet my mom.I texted her.

Me: Hey, where do you ant me to meet you?

Mom: Where are you right now?

Me: The diner

Mom: What are you doing there?

Me: Date with Selena. So do you want me to stay here or go somewhere else?

Mom: Stay there. I promise I will be there soon

Me: Okay

Shoving my phone back into my pocket, I patiently waited for my mom to pick me up. I was still beyond relieved that Nick and Taylor promised to keep my secret. To be honest, I was more relieved that Taylor had promised to keep my secret. Considering the fact, Taylor was Selena's best friend. So it was more important for Taylor to keep the secret.

In the parking lot my mom pulled up to the diner. Quickly, I jumped into the car and buckled my seat belt. My mom began sniffing the air. Soon she moved closer to me and sniffed me, then pulled away.

"You smell like fries," my mom laughed. Relieved she didn't suspect anything, I motioned for her to go. She drove out of the parking lot and continued down the street. Swallowing, I was reluctant to ask her about how her interview went.

Awkward silence filled the car. Rolling the window down, I hoped it would break the silence. My mom glanced over at me, then rolled her eyes.

"Justin roll that window up," my mom demanded. Rolling it up, I then looked over at my mom. Her eyes were locked on the road. Her facial expression was blank. It was hard to make a prediction about how her interview went.

"So mom, how did your interview go?," I asked nervously. My mom breathed in slowly. She swallowed air and waited for the lump to go down her throat. Loosening her fingers on the wheel, she then looked over at me. A half smile was upon her face. She nodded then looked back at the road. 'So was that a yes or a no?,' I thought.

"It went well. They gave me the job," I sighed with relief, "But they won't let me start till next week," my mom admitted. The relief was partially gone. Of course I was happy she got the job, but she wouldn't start until next week. Which meant no pay check. So what was going to happen?

"That's great mom. But what's going to happen this week?," I asked. My mom shrugged. Looking back, I stared at the backseat. Boxes filled the backseat. I looked back forward. My mom had a worried look on her face. She continued driving. After driving around for awhile, night soon came.

"We'll stay here tonight," my mom said while pulling off to the side of the road. Nodding, I looked around. Our car was parked on the other side of the road near a corn field. We weren't quite out of town, but we were getting there. My mom and I leaned our chairs back simultaneously.

"I'm sorry Justin. This will only be for awhile," my mom apologized. She shouldn't be apologizing.

"Mom it's fine, don't worry about it. I love you," I said. My mom smiled then closed her eyes. Slowly, I closed my eyes.

"I love you too," my mom said while going to sleep.